Operating System - Microsoft
1752778 Members
6104 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Video problems with mouse

Mike Germain

Video problems with mouse

I'm currently having a problem where video and games are extremely choppy unless I physically start moving my mouse around. If I start moving the mouse it will run smooth, but the second I stop moving it the video will start to run choppy and skip if not freeze all together again. I've tried this with the USB mouse as well as the touchpad built in. I've reinstalled windows XP, installed HP's video driver upgrades, tried 3rd party nVidia drivers, and the latest Logitech mouse drivers as well as HP's most up to date touchpad drivers. Nothing seems to fix the problem. Anyone have any ideas? This problem started about 3 months ago, I've had the computer for about 15 months.

Specs: HP Pavilion zd7000
Geforce Go FX 5700
Logitech MX 310 usb mouse
1 gig ram

ps. what's with the password section, it has to be 7 characters 1 of which is a number. That's probably one of the most insecure password schemes i've ever seen.
9 REPLIES 9
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Re: Video problems with mouse

I think what you have is a IRQ sharing issue. What happens if you disconnect the USB mouse, turn off the touchpad, and use a serial mouse instead?

Since you've already upgraded the drivers, the next steps I would try are:

1) upgrading the BIOS, and
2) attempt to put the usb and video on different IRQs...
Rich S
Honored Contributor

I agree with Allen.

there is a conflict going on inside your computer. Check your HARDWARE DEVICES inside Control Panels SYSTEM icon to see if XP sees it. I had this problem with a bad sound card on a desktop. Finding the casue was the problem.

Some games can call an interupt too that causes it.

Does it happen all the time right after boot or only after a certain amount of time its on?

It could also be caused by a bad driver load.

Did it still do it after you did a fresh load of XP ? (before loading the driver updates)

Rich
Rich S
Honored Contributor

BTW,

There is also a beta download for your driver on Nvidia.

ref:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_32bit_82.12.html

Rich
Rich S
Honored Contributor

Mike,

Try also to upgrade your mouse driver. Its a long shot but it is better to eliminate the main devices if possible. There could be a conflict between your mouse and video driver.

keep us informed...

Rich

Points?

Points are a way of saying thank you to the person that has helped you with your problem.

Only the question author can assign points to a given response. You will see a dropdown menu of points next to the reply (you must be logged in to see the menu). Select the point value and then click the "submit points" button. Note that you can rate multiple replies and submit them at one time.
Mike Germain

There doesn't appear to be an IRQ conflic, at least through Device Manager. I installed new touchpad drivers as well. I get the same problem even if I uninstall the regular mouse, and don't use it. Those video drivers don't work because nVidia doesn't support GO series, Unless i use hacked drivers which i've also tried, I must use the drivers provided by HP. I havn't had a chance to upgrade teh BIOS but that will be my next course of action. Also a new problem has came up. It seems like at random my screen gets filled with a thick checkered board pattern, then it locks up and I need to force a reboot by turning the laptop off/on. I'm starting to think it's more of a hardware failure than a software/drivers issue or compatibility issue
Rich S
Honored Contributor

By what information you have provided, I would agree with you.

Unfortunately, the device manager will not show any upcoming hardware failure. But a basic removal of each component would.

Rich
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

The checkerboard pattern is indicative of some sort of memory failure -- either main or video.

Try this: set your system swap memory to 2*physicalmemory + 2MB minimum and 4095 maximum. Be sure to defrag before and after doing this, btw.

YOu could also try a goog memory tester. I like memtest86, but it doesn't test video memory. There is a tool called TestVideoRAM that you could try.
pbsturte

I've actually been having the same exact problem, with a very slight variant.

I've spent hours on tech support with the HP people and tried every thing they've said to no avail, so I gave up for a few months. Glad to see I'm not alone in this.

The video seems to be choppy all the time unless I move my USB mouse. I've updated every driver I can think of, including video, mouse, sound, BIOS, touchpad, you name it. If I try unplugging the USB mouse and just using the touchpad, it is choppy. Ditto if I turn off the touchpad and unplug the mouse.

Funny thing is, it doesn't seem to have much problem playing Quicktime files at all, just Windows Media and DVDs. Wierd.

To me, that says 'reinstall windows', but unfortunately I don't have my install discs with me (away at college... in Europe).

My specs are:

HP Pavillion ze4325us
1 gig ram
Kensington Optical Mouse in a Box
ATI Radeon Mobility (whatever it is)

I'm looking at my IRQ assignments, and it seems I may have a conflict. For IRQ 10 and 11, it says:

(PCI) 10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
(PCI) 10 Radeon IGP 320M
(PCI) 11 National Semiconductor Corp. DP83815/816 10/100 MacPhyter PCI Adapter
(PCI) 11 O2Micro OZ6912 CardBus Controller

I fear I'm a little behind the curve with regards to whether this may be the problem. It looks like IRQ 10 is the problem in a slap-yourself-in-the-head type no brainer way, but I don't believe I have the technical knowhow to be able to manually change my IRQs in Windows XP on a laptop (I remember doing it all the time on my 386, but time, sadly, seems to have passed me by).

Can anyone give me a hand? Thanks!

~Paul
Mike Germain2

Hey, Sorry for the name change but anyways here's an update.

After a month of this mouse problem I started to get white checkered patterns on my screen, and then it would freeze. Obviously some type of memory failure problem. Another week after that the video card totally failed. The screen is completely blank, s-video and the analog jacks in the back of the laptop don't work either. Of course HP decided that somehow it was a hard drive failure and I should send it back so they can re-install windows on it. Despite me pointing out that you can't even see text from the BIOS loading up. So hopefully they will accidentally hire someone with a tiny bit of intelligence that can service my laptop.

Paul the only advice I can give you is to make sure you back up anything important incase your laptops video card fails as well. Although it could be the motherboard itself, after all we have different video cards. But it was a pain tracking down an adapter to connect my laptop hdd to my main PC (which I finished building 2 minutes before my laptop died for good).