1752760 Members
4982 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Virtual Server CPU performance

xgene_2
Occasional Contributor

Virtual Server CPU performance

We have a proliant dl360 g5 with 2 dual core intel Xeon 5150's. This server is running windows 2003 Server sp1 and Virtual Server 2005 R2.

We are hosting 2 virtual server guest instances (each windows 2003 sp1). Each instance has ~ 2GB of RAM allocated. Is there a better type of CPU we could use in this hardware for this setup? We have had a few performance problems CPU-wise already and are wondering how we can better this performance. These are only Web servers.

any ideas?

(We've tweaked several ressource allocation settings within virtual server without much improvement.)
2 REPLIES 2
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Re: Virtual Server CPU performance

How many CPUs have you assigned to the guest instances?

I have not played with Virtual Server yet but from a VMWare perspective there are issues with assigning the same number of CPUs to the guest server as the physical host due to the way CPU is scheduled.
xgene_2
Occasional Contributor

Re: Virtual Server CPU performance

Well from my understanding virtual server 2005 R2 (no beta service pack) you can only assign one "logical" cpu. to a virtual server...

since we are using 2x dual core 2.6 Ghz Intel Xeon 5150's, We are apparently getting 1 core, and I'm pretty sure it's not getting all of the 2.6 Ghz of processing power...So I guess I want to know if I can improve this somehow... (Virtual server 2005 r2 SP1 is supposed to allow to add more than 1 logical cpu but I haven't tried or seen this...and virt serv 2005 r2 "sp1" is only in "release candidate" right now...