Operating System - Microsoft
1753512 Members
5258 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Vista ultimate and hp color inkjet printer cp1700 with Duplex unit installed.

David McMahon
Advisor

Vista ultimate and hp color inkjet printer cp1700 with Duplex unit installed.

I have problems printing in vista! Basically the duplex functions are ignored in the printer driver settings, BOTH the printing defaults and per-print basis.

The duplex always results in short edge binding and always uses lots of ink despite draft setting.

I'm using A4 HP Bright White Inkjet paper.

The printer works other than above and worked 100% in XP.

Short of regrading to XP what should I do? Can I use the XP driver somehow and of course is that wise?

Note that is on an otherwise perfect Vista install using a modern supported intel i965G chipset and all other software/hardware working perfectly.
6 REPLIES 6
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Re: Vista ultimate and hp color inkjet printer cp1700 with Duplex unit installed.

Hi David,
Did you try this driver?
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&prodNameId=33112&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=33103&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2093

Also see if the problem exists in more the none progrm, does it only appen in MS office applications? Or does Adobe reader print corroct?

Have a nice day,
HTH, Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
David McMahon
Advisor

Hi tried the Vista driver but unfortunalty it don't work (as above) Can anyone tell me how to extract the XP driver files from the HP installer to try the XP driver?
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Hi again,
I doubt XP drivers work, but if you want to try, you can extract the files with Winrar, if you already installed Winrar and rightclick a softpaq you can choose to extract the files.
If you do not have it on your system you can download it here: http://www.download.com/WinRAR/3000-2250_4-10614813.html?tag=lst-0-2

Have a nice day,
HTH, Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
David McMahon
Advisor

Hope the driver gets updated, or will just wait til printer dies (then reset the battery to kill the sponge/cart date detection :)

The CP1700 is Best printer ever! I always read mags and sites for reviews and they mention ink costs,speed, features etc but what does it for me is a printer that dont need purging once a week so my prints dont look like a 3 year old Lexmark or a printer that actully lasts 13-months

Hope the CP1700 never dies and when it does gonna Ebay another.

My girl just got a Canon MP160 and appently with the big tanks it's economical! Well I dont want to buy carts for it as almost every time I use it I need to clean the print head.

I remember a HP 843C (or similar) that had near-perfect nozzle check, so I cleaned it anyway and ruined it! All ink on the head upon investigation.

Sorry about this post just glad got something that isn't a rip-off for a change.

p.s Virgin (U.K) Broad-band should be called Virgin narrow-band
Bob Headrick
Honored Contributor

You may need to enable the duplexer in Start, Settings, Printers, right click on the CP 1700, Properties, Device Settings, Installable Options, and set the "Duplex unit for 2 sided printing" to installed.

I have a patch for the CP 1700 under Vista that corrects the back side upside down issue and also allows printing of A3 and 11x17 media (or up to 13x19 in the English US version). Currently tray selection is not supported, I hope to get a fix for that later.

If you would like the patch and instructions please send me an email (email to bobh@mvps.org or find my email address in my profile) and I will send the patch in return mail.

I also have Vista duplex patches for many other HP inkjet printers, ask if you need a different model.

To help me find your email among all the spam I get please put Vista Duplex and the printer model in the subject line.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging
(points appreciated)
Bob Headrick
Honored Contributor

Patches for the CP1700 as well as other printers are now available for download from http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Software&thread.id=43

The cp1700 patch was updated in May 2009 to correct some margins issues in large format printing.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging