Operating System - Microsoft
1748104 Members
4524 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What Windoze freeware/shareware program will make a good ISO image?

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

What Windoze freeware/shareware program will make a good ISO image?

I know that there are several programs available that will make disk images (Nero is one of them) that a person can use to create a backup of CDs.

The problem that I have with using Nero to do this is that it doesn't seem to offer the ability to create the image with an ISO extension on the file (it wants to use a proprietary file extension instead).

Since I can't be sure that I will still be using Nero when I need to recreate the disk in the future, I would like to find a reliable piece of software that will work on Windoze and create the disk image with the standard .iso file extension.

Would any of you be willing to share your experience and/or opinions with me as to the best software for this and where I can acquire a copy of it?

10 points to the person that provides the info I end up using.
7-8 points for other reasonable suggestions and links
1-6 points for other various information
0 points reserved for people who just REALLY tick me off.

In other words, nobody posts to this thread without getting points unless you are a great candidate for the Darwin Awards (and I have seen very few in this forum that would qualify).

All input would be appreciated!

John
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
8 REPLIES 8
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor
Solution

http://www.newfreeware.com/utils/1774/

looks like what you want.

Don't assign 8 points or more to any replies until you are satisfied since that will put up the Bunny which indicates you have the solution to your problem.

Ron
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Ron,

I appreciate your input on this, but for now this will have to wait.

It seems as if my machine at home decided that it was tired of this world and wanted to join it's friends in the great silicone beyond.

I have the parts on order to replace it with an Opteron system, but it will be later this week or early next before they all arrive and then there is the build time on it.

Wish me luck?
John
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
ArctiC
Frequent Advisor

Hi guys.

John,

if you're not sure about using Nero again,
you can try (I hate saying that) Easy CD Creator from Roxio. It can create .iso images. Although i think Nero is the best burning software available.
EasyCD creator:

http://www.roxio.com

2nd option is also very useful app called MagicIso:

http://www.magiciso.com

And of course, a must-have DaemonTools (doesn't create .iso, but emulates them as virtual cd drives)

rgds,
B
ArctiC
Frequent Advisor

Oops,

In case you don't have DaemonToos, here's a link:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/portal/index.php

As I can see on their page, they also supply tools for creating personal backups of CDs

rgds,
B
Pedro Pinto_2
Advisor

check this one.

http://download.com.com/redir?pid=10276906&merid=6250561&mfgid=6250561&ltype=dl_dlnow&lop=link&edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3120-2646-10276906&ontId=2646&destUrl=%2F3001-2646-10276906.html

If it doesn't work check www.download.com, there is a large amount of software available for this operation, just keep the one that you enjoy most.

Best regards

Pedro Pinto
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Pedro,

Thanks for the input. I have moved beyond this issue in my world, but it is nice to see that others want to contribute to this still.

Unfortunately, you missed part of my desire in this quest. I was looking for a free/share ISO package at the time I wrote this. Never the less, you did seem to point to a reasonable alternative program so I will award you with some points for your effort.
Rudy_8
Honored Contributor

No points required....

Seems you be rather busy anyway so just tuck this away and investigate later.

So...try a look at this project:

www.deepburner.com

Oh....it's free, BTW.

Happy building
I do not need to know everything. I just need to know where to go to get the information.
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Rudy,

You are correct in your observation on my nearly non-existent free time as of late. It seems that with every little bit of progress I make something comes along and pushes me just that much further back.

I took a quick look into the web site that you pointed me to and I have to say that it is interesting. Even if I never offer any further review of it in the thread, I would suggest that others with this question take the time to look into it.

BTW, I like the price tag on this one :-)

Thanks for the thought,
John