4787 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What is a two way or a four way processor

Rajan_sa
Advisor

What is a two way or a four way processor

hi ,

I need to know wht is this two way or a four way processors..

4 REPLIES 4
Vibhor Kumar Agarwal
Esteemed Contributor

Are you talking about hyperthreading.
Vibhor Kumar Agarwal
Rajan_sa
Advisor

my understanding of hypertread is -:
HT is a feature of the CPU itself (not motherboard, chipset, or other component) that allows the operating system to see more than one logical CPU (it's called "logical" because there is only one CPU--it just appears as two). HT does this by providing a special set of protocols to the OS which can be executed/queried at bootup and SMP is -: SMP is chipset-dependent and requires a coordinated effort by many factors off the CPU itself.

One of my client wants a 4 way CPU server.I have the basic understanding of HT/SMP but when he says 4 way CPU servers means wht? HT/SMP CPU.

Jeff Wilkins
Valued Contributor

Usually people refer to a server as a four way if it c has or can have 4 processors. I hope this simple answer doesn't sound too simple.

Maybe we are just not clear on the question.
jfwilkins@hotmail.com
JustMe_ABC
Occasional Visitor

A 2-way system has two CPU sockets and, thus, accepts two processors (it can work with only 1 processor if needed though).

A 2-way processor is a processor that can be placed on a 2-way system and function together with the other (2nd) processor.

A 4-way server is a server with 4 CPU sockets, which is kinda rare nowadyas, as far as I know. I think older models used more than two sockets. Nowadays, with multi-core systems, that need is long gone. Instead of getting more CPUs, you tend to get more CPU cores.

2-way processors are ususally denoted as 2P.