1745786 Members
3354 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What is "Backweb"?

Roger Keeling

What is "Backweb"?

Hi folks! I'm not an IT professional, so please forgive me if this seems an obvious question. But I've found almost nothing on this in HP's knowledge base, or anywhere else for that matter, and so hope to find an answer here now. One of the processes running at start-up on my system is a program (located in an HP folder) called "Backweb-137903". I have a little program here, WinPatrol, which checks out these sorts of things, and it notes that the program does not include the name of a publisher or ANY information about itself (most HP processes include all of that info). It doesn't even have a version number. So it looks to me like some kind of malware. But AdAware, Spybot, A2, and Norton Anti-Virus don't flag it as a problem. And the only reference I did find to it suggested it had something to do with the proper running of the HP Support Center application. Can anyone tell me what it is? (I've got an HP Pavilion a500n, with the Athlon 2800 processor, running on WinXP Home). Thank you in advance for any insights.
3 REPLIES 3
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

Re: What is "Backweb"?

Backweb-137903.exe gives users access to offers and recommendations from HP, it is not essential

Links of interest:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/backweb-137903/

http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/backweb-137903.exe.php
If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon
Roger Keeling

Hi Deoncia! Wow, that was fast. I posted, like, 20 seconds ago, and here comes the answer I was looking for. If any HP engineers should see this, may I suggest that you make sure that "Backweb-137903.exe" in the future includes all of the publisher information, so that folks like me don't automatically assume it's malicious? Anyhow, thank you Deoncia for the explanation, and also for the links to additional information. That completely answers my question.
Roger Keeling

Per my last posting, Deoncia fully answered my question. Thanks again!