108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2000 printer drivers for NT4

Hugh Gamble

Windows 2000 printer drivers for NT4

Having started to roll out Windows 2000 professional, we have found that we
cant print to HP 4050N or 4500 printers shared out from NT 4.0 servers. we have
tried the beta drivers without success.

Does any one know how to set mixed NT4 and W2000 printers?
4 REPLIES 4
Gerard Laygui
Frequent Advisor

Hugh,

Please check HP's webpage at www.hp.com. Go to the drivers section and lookup
your printer. There is a section about using Windows 2000 and NT 4.0 print
drivers.

Good Luck,

---Gerard
Gray Cassell

I too have found the posted Windows 2000 drivers for the 4500 Color laserjet do not work. I have the printer hooked up via a jet direct and is serviced from a server with DLC protocol. It worked great in NT40sp5 but after the W2K upgrade on the client, the client can no longer print. I see you had the problem in March. Has this been resovled?

Thanks for the help.
Mike McKinlay
Honored Contributor

In order to print from Win2K systems to NT4 (a back version) you need a tool from the Win2K Server CD called FIXPRNSV.EXE. See the following from

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q247/1/96.ASP

"When this switch (/fix) is used on a Windows NT 4.0-based computer, Windows 2000 print drivers can be installed. This permits Windows 2000-based clients to connect to the print server and download the appropriate printer drivers. When this switch is used on a Windows 2000-based computer, any incompatible Windows NT 4.0 printer drivers will be replaced."
"Hope springs eternal."
David Sloane

I have this problem with HP LJ 8100 drivers on an NT 4 server with some Windows 2000 clients.

When I run fixprnsv /fix, it tells me there's "No replacement available for HP 8100 Series PCL 6" (after "Incompatible Driver : HP LaserJet 8100 Series PCL 6 for Environment Windows NT x86").

I've downloaded and installed the latest LJ 8100 drivers from the web site, but still get this error. Now what?