Operating System - Microsoft
1748179 Members
4109 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows Vista Home basics to Windows XP Professional

Minh Tai

Windows Vista Home basics to Windows XP Professional

I have a Windows Vista Home Basics desktop at home and i would like to change it to a Windows XP Professional desktop and i have a disk that can install Windows XP Professional. Can i install the Windows XP Professional into a Windows Vista Home Basics desktop? Can i do that?~~ Thank You ^^
2 REPLIES 2
Univer_1
Valued Contributor

what the meaning of "into"?
You can install the XP Pro in the other partitions. So that you can choose which one to get into at any boot time.
There may be a problem that I have not tested whether XP boot system supported the Vista. If not, in general, you can always fix the boot by Vista recovery console. Like the "fixboot" "fixmbr" command used in XP recovery console. On the other hand, If you installed XP before Vista, there should not have any problem.

However, if you want two systems running at the same time, you could install a virtual mathine like VMware. Install the XP as a host OS in VM of the Vista and vice versa.

Regards

Univer
Emmerson Mariko

Yes you can install the winxp but you need to assess why you are downgrding.I suggest before you do anything you obtain all the winxp drivers for the desktop.You can also perform a dual boot by first creating a new partition(using partition magic).Or you can back up the recovery partition that comes preloaded and then create new partitions were u can load the winxp.