1752800 Members
5871 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows XP DELETE???

Daniel Clarke
Occasional Contributor

Windows XP DELETE???

How do I delete XP from my KAYAK? I have the test version and cannot see how to delete it before or after it expires.
Love never faileth.
4 REPLIES 4
Dries Bertier
Respected Contributor

How to delete xp will be different for several ways you installed it. Did you do an upgrade or not. If you did an upgrade normally when starting you can choose both os, xp and your older one. If not i suggest to completely reinstall your os.

Dries
<< please try >>
Daniel Clarke
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your help. My KAYAK XU had its original operating system deleted when I purchased it. I had a test copy of the new WINDOWS XP and installed it. But as it comes to the end of its trial period, I need to put in a final operating system. I want to replace it with WINDOWS 2000 SERVER but I simply cannot figure our how to clean out the XP o/s?
Love never faileth.
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello,

you might actually use *the* enemy (linux), boot from
a linux install CD (they seem to fly around everywhere)
and continue the installation until it is about
"partitioning the hard disk" (or similiar).
Then you may use that menu to get dir of the XP,
and then you will abort the linux installation.
You could even download bootable linux floppies to
do this (like "Tom's Root and boot disk").

HTH,
Wodisch
Dries Bertier
Respected Contributor

If you want to install w2k server, try to use a microsoft installation cd if you don't have recovery disks. Boot from cd. After the detection of hardware you are prompted with a question where to install os. Then delete all partitions you see using the keys presented and create a new partion to install W2k server. I prefer NTFS format for w2k. If you can't delete the current partions you must use another tool to delete them. Partion magic works fine to delete all partitions and to create a new ntfs partition. Fdisk can also be used but sometimes you can't delete a ntfs partition because it's not recognized (non dos)

Good luck,

Dries
<< please try >>