Operating System - Microsoft
1753277 Members
4915 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Won't Shut Down Automatically

Kayla

Won't Shut Down Automatically

First of all, my computer keeps giving me a message on a blue screen with white letters saying something like, "An Error has Occured...Press any key to continue" If I press any key, it disappears.
Second, when I try to shut my computer down, it goes through the process and the screen goes blank, but the computer doesn't shut off. If I hold the power button down for a few seconds, it will shut off. I made sure that I hadn't changed any settings on accident, and I hadn't. The only change to my computer in the past 2 weeks is that I downloaded one thing off of the internet, and that may be the cause. Will SYSTEM RESTORE bring it back the way it was before I downloaded it, or what do I need to do? I want to thank you for taking the time to read this letter. Sincerely, Kayla :)
2 REPLIES 2
DALE KING
Regular Advisor

Kayla, system restore should restore it to what ever point you tell it to. If you can find a restore point (date) prior to the errors restore it to that point. It will not affect any files made only the registry. If you however installed any programs you will have to reinstall them if you still want them to work. Have you tried to go to Add Remove Programs and uninstall the program that you installed?
Hans Tullberg

Hi! Don??t know if Ya solved the problem yet, but if You havn??t I have a idea.
To begin with, it seems to be a conflict between "Adaptec Direct CD" and "Windows Media Player".
I had the same problem and was lucky enough to solve it in the following way:

Go to C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\cdr4_2k and put an x in front of the file (Xcdr4_2k) and then try to shut down.
If it works then Ya know it has to do with that file somehow. In My case I throw the "Windows Media Player"
away and use the RealPlayer instead. Maybe You have to reinstall the things from "Adaptec" as well to make
it work properly.

God luck!

Hasse
Tell me how You are and I will tell You what to read