1752572 Members
4547 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

defraging and scaning

Susan Neddo

defraging and scaning

I am having a problem defraging my hard drive"C". It says "have restarted 10 times" and that "something else has been writing to this drive"? Anyway I cannot defrag or scan disk..Is there somthing I can do to fix this problem, without hireing someone to come in and fix it? thanks for your time
Susan Neddo
10 REPLIES 10
Artyom Voronchihin
Respected Contributor

Re: defraging and scaning

Hello.
Possible reason is running antivirus software. It is checking disk activity and write it's own data to disk during defrag moves data. So defrag check that data on disk changed and restart defragmentation process. After 10 restarts defrag stops with error. So if you are using an antivirus, stop it before defrag.
"Intel inside" is not a label, it's a warning.
Mark Prado
Occasional Contributor

You know what it sounds as if you are having the smae problem as me. THe tech told me the only one to resolve this ther then the scan disc is to use your Quick Restore CD am guessing that reformats everything because am not to familiar with Campaq but am working on as i type and i need to see if there is anyone that can pass there quick restore cd this was because i dont have one cause the owner of the computer didnt recive any software with the computer because it was giving to her. So am not to sure how i can get one f those cd's. But yea i belive that the only way to resolve your error.

Mark
webman8605@msn.com
"What comes around, goes around!"
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hi everyone:

Please try to restart your PC in safe mode and then run Scandisk. If for some reason, you can't get that to work, come up normally and open Task Manager (CTRL/ALT/DELETE). Then stop all applications, close Task Manager and close any applications associated with icons in the System Tray. Then try Defrag. You should not have to do a recovery/restore operation to solve this problem!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Deron Funk
Frequent Advisor

I ran into this same problem while working on a friends PC. I checked for things running in the background like virus scanning software and other non-essential items. I seem to remember I found 3 or 4 things running in the background; unfortunatley I don't recall the exact applications. Once I stopped them from running, scandisk and defrag ran much better. Use the Task Manager to see what processes are running in the background. WARNING: If you are unfamiliar with Task Manager and identifying processes, then you would be better off using msconfig to stop all background processes from starting on reboot, then reboot the pc and try your defrag again.

Also important to ensure things like Screensavers are disabled. I have had similar problems and the biggest culprits are the Antivirus and Screen savers. Also may be an idea to stop any power management that may interrupt the PC eg. Hard drive power offs etc.

Hope this helps.
Robert_134
Advisor

Yep... Mr. Roger Faucher's answer is correct. Go into Safe Mode, (F8 on start up), and run both scandisk and defrag, in that order. If it doesn't work from there, go to:

http://www.belarc.com/harddrives.html

and test your hard drive. You never know.

And for those that are interested in checking out this really useful utility, (and don't already know about it), go to this link:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

You'll know alot about your PC after you use it.

-Rob

RHU
Frequent Advisor

TURN OFF YOUR SCREEN SAVER OR SET THE TIME TO START TO 3 PLUS HOURS... AND DISABLE ANTIVIRUS.
RHU
Frequent Advisor

ALSO IF YOU HAVE AUTO UPDATE FINDER FOR WINDOWS DISABLE THAT..
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

That may work fine as well, but the easiest way is still to go in under safe mode and scan then defrag.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda