SOLVED
Go to solution
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: disk clean-up and defragmentand rams

Sugar:
Stick to the same thread.
Defrag on 98se is harder, because of other programs running. You can delete most of running programs and then defrag will work better, otherwise it will try ten times and then wait for you to start again. If you know how to get into safe mode it will run well there where most programs are shut down.
If you are running XP you should have very little problem.
All defrag does is put your information where computer can access it easier. So if computer is slowing down, yes defrag is good.
Otherwise really no great rush to defrag all the time.
Yes defrag can take a long time. Computer may sit at 1% for a long time and you may think something is wrong, but system is simply analyzing what it has to do. Go away, come back after an hour or so and check again. I never use computer when defrag in process.
The best
John

Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

Re: disk clean-up and defragmentand rams

Hi John; Yes I have been told about the tread stuff. I think I understand now. I use the reply button. Everyone's been yelling at me about it. Thank you. I was wondering if anyone was going to tell me why the defrag. was staying one one%. I was useing the computer at the same time and a window came up and said I needed to get rid of some of the stuff on the sreen I was working on at that time because there was not enough of room to store info. Does that sound familiar? I was told to start thw defrag. before I go to bed and lie it run. Do you know how to test to see if there is any damage to the ram(s)? Can you explain to me how to get into the safe mode? And how to delete running files. I'm on windows98 2nd. edition. I hope you don't get upset with me asking so many questions. It seem's like computer smart people get irritated easily. I have to ask because I'm just learning and I'm starting to be affraid to ask for help! You seem much more calm with your reply, I sure hope so! I was able to understand your explaination! That sure was a surprise! Thank you very much! Sugar