Operating System - Microsoft
1752616 Members
4839 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

does it hurt to charge my battery while using it?

Jason Whitener
Occasional Contributor

does it hurt to charge my battery while using it?

I have an omnibook 6000 with a lithium ion battery and was wondering if I leave it charging all the time while at home will it hurt the battery?
2 REPLIES 2
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: does it hurt to charge my battery while using it?

Jason:

This text is from an HP Omnibook XE manual but it should apply to yours as well:

To get the most from your batteries
├В┬╖ Do not leave batteries unused for long periods of time. If you have more than
one, rotate them.
├В┬╖ If you normally use AC power, make a practice of at least once a week using the
battery as your power source.
├В┬╖ Unplug the AC adapter when the computer is not in use.
├В┬╖ To preserve the life of a battery, be sure to charge the battery regularly.
├В┬╖ For long-term storage, the battery must be charged at 20├в 50% to minimize
capacity loss by self-discharge and to avoid deterioration of battery
performance.

HTH

Happy Ho
Make a great day!

Roger
Perignon
Honored Contributor

Re: does it hurt to charge my battery while using it?

Hi Jason,

Concur with Roger's points as a general statement, but I'd like to emphasise that there exist different policies about how a battery should be best preserved.

Actually, loading/re-loading procedures may vary with the model of battery used, thus you should stick to the manufacturor's recommendations at the first hand.

Normally, a brand new battery should be fully loaded once, computer off. First use would extend to the moment when the battery is totally empty. Once done, it should be fully re-loaded again, computer off. Actually, only these preliminary measures will influence on the life of your battery as a general rule, other precautions are much dependent on the manufacturor.

Alain
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.