4667 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hotkey

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Nicol

hotkey

I was given an HP Pavilion 8565c and asked to look at it. The CPU fan was not working so I replaced it. Then I noticed the power supply wasn't working and replaced that. Now it posts but comes to " drive A error. System halted." By rights, if I could get to the bios and change the bootup order, It should start on drive D with a windows 98 startup disk. Yes, I'm skirting the CPU thing. I'm trying to save him that expense. Can anyone give me the hotkey for that computer?
7 REPLIES 7
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: hotkey

Tom:

Most HP PCs need the F10 key when you see the HP 'splash' to enter BIOS setup program.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor
Solution

Roger,

You are thinking Compaq which uses F10. HP's use either F1 or F2. In this case it's F1 or at least that is what HP says at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=60387тМй=en&cc=us&docname=bph07110

Tom,

Per HP:

"Entering the BIOS Setup utility
Sometimes it can be a little tricky to get into the BIOS Setup screen because it requires pressing a specific key at a specific time. If you fail to enter the Setup screen on your first try, repeat the following steps until you are successful:

Close all applications that are currently running and restart the computer by clicking Start, Shut Down, Restart the Computer, and then OK.

When the blue HP Logo screen appears, press the F1 key on the keyboard to enter the HP BIOS Setup menu.

NOTE: An alternate to the above steps, especially if the blue HP Logo screen disappears too quickly to enter BIOS, is to shut down (turn off) the computer. Wait 30 seconds, turn the power on and press F1 at the blue HP Logo screen. "

You may also be able to fix the error by pulling the RTC battery for about 5 minutes. That should cause it to set the BIOS settings to Default.

Ron
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hey Tom. Sorry about the bad info.

Ron, thanks for the correction. Are things returning to normal over there, after the hurricanes?

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Tom Nicol

Thanks! You were right about catching the logo just right. I finally tried the battery trick and left it 20 minutes and it worked. You people saved me a lot of time. I can't understand people when they ask you to" just look at my computer" and then phone me to ask if it's ready yet. Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. I thank you all very much.

Tom
Tom Nicol

Thanks so much. I never knew there was a place where I could get help on line. After I spent a day reading and not getting any further ahead I would have raced out and bought a motherboard when I didn't need one. I'll stay close incase someone needs answers to something that I have run into.

Thanks again.

Tom
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Tom:

Since you're a 'newbie' to the forums, please consider checking this out and perhaps awarding Ron some points.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28

Thanks and make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Tom Nicol

I,m sorry Ron. I'm still a little dizzy on the replys I got and that people go out of their way to submit answers so guickly. I was told I didn't leave a rating for you. You were all very helpfull, in that I have a P11 Compac to look at next. Ron, If it's not too late, I'd like to leave you an 8 rating from you sharing the information on the hotkeys with H.P. and Compac.