New Discussion юеВ

Re: i need some help on my memory load

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

For win2k/xp, I believe one should just let windows manage the page file. In previous windows versions, it made sense to tweak the page file, but I do not mess with it for win2k/xp.

For new user PCs that we are currently buying, I agree, 512MB is the correct RAM amount for most ordinary users. But Chris has not told us what his processor is, and as you know, if his processor is just too old, it does not make $$ sense to add RAM to a motherboard that should simply be scrapped.

:-) Jay
check Facebook
Chris_706
Occasional Contributor

i have a hp pavilion a305w 2.70ghz
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

You would definitely see a speed boost by increasing your RAM to 512MB or even more, depending on what applications you typically run, and how many are open at one time.

Applications like Office (especially Access), and PhotoShop benefit from more RAM.

check Facebook
John Y
Honored Contributor

Chris, like Jay said, make sure that,(let windows manage page file size) is selected, this may do it if it's not currently the option used.!? And for that system, it's worth a ram increase for sure, it's alot cheaper these days to add a little ram, afterall, not everyone can buy new MB's or PC's. No disrespect meant Jay.!
John Y
Honored Contributor

BTW--Here are your ram specs from HP, if you wish to add a little..................

Memory

Component
Attributes

Memory Installed
256 MB (1 x 256)

Maximum allowed
1 GB (2 x 512) requires the removal of the installed 256 MB DIMM

Speed supported
PC2700 MB/sec (messages at PC2100)

Type
184 pin, DDR SDRAM

DIMM slots
Two

Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

I DO think we are getting off the track of Chris' original problem report.

Now that we know Chris' processor, and that Chris is running 256MB RAM, there should be NO problem at all doing anything that AOL needs to do.

I don't have any first-hand experience with AOL (I have Comcast cable-Internet service).

Chris, if you could expand on your original problem, that would be good. I don't think you need to spend any money on RAM right now, although you should keep it in mind for a Xmas gift for your PC!

check Facebook
John Y
Honored Contributor

I DO have AOL, and it uses a ton of memory. I asked Chris to check and see if if his virtual memory was set to managed by windows or not, and was waiting to hear back. He must not, stating he has a 1gb page file, and if thats the case, between XP--AOL--and extras, he may very well be on the edge.? So I thought I was on the track.
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

Hi my friend John,

I am most certainly NOT an AOL expert.

I find it hard to believe that Chris' fairly recent hardware cannot run AOL without problems!

Let's wait to hear more detail on Chris' original problem.

check Facebook
Chris_706
Occasional Contributor

my problem is that i have to mch load on my memory and dont really know why right now as we are speaking i have a 86% load
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

Chris,

Here is a good source for RAM:

http://www.crucial.com/

check Facebook