Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install xp via recovery disk NOT on c:

Riccardo Pansini
Occasional Advisor

install xp via recovery disk NOT on c:

Hi

I have an hp xe3 with original recovery disk.

I need a fresh installation of xp in a partition of hd called d:

When I procede with the install via recovery disk, the only option I have been given is to install it on c:, and I do not want to do so, as over there I don't need and want a new installation.

Is there a trick to avoid this nasty thing?

Thanks
Ric
3 REPLIES
Pat
Honored Contributor
Riccardo Pansini
Occasional Advisor

Re: install xp via recovery disk NOT on c:

Thanks Pat.

I am using Partition Magic, and I have created D: via that software and not through fdisk.

Please be more clear:
I think Part Mag does the job in a more software like way than on the hd itself.

If I use fdisk will i definitely get the option:
install on (1) c: or (2) d:?

Anybody there who has done this and can assure me of the option i would get??

If I have been using partition magis is because I need flexibility and being able to reassign the space between the two Hd's every now and then.

thanks
Ric
Pat
Honored Contributor

Re: install xp via recovery disk NOT on c:

Sorry it took so long to get back with you. Our time zones must be entirely different.

I haven't had the opportunity to perform a recovery in the same fashion on my unit and am sure I face doing so in the future.

This article may help further.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00239036&product=396428&dlc=en〈=en#N1011B

I believe that will enable you to recover. Partition Magic will enable you to merge partitions without deleting the contents. But the above url guides from a Fresh Starting point.

Pat