3128 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

install xp via recovery disk NOT on c:

Riccardo Pansini
Occasional Advisor

install xp via recovery disk NOT on c:

Hi

I have an hp xe3 with original recovery disk.

I need a fresh installation of xp in a partition of hd called d:

When I procede with the install via recovery disk, the only option I have been given is to install it on c:, and I do not want to do so, as over there I don't need and want a new installation.

Is there a trick to avoid this nasty thing?

Thanks
Ric
3 REPLIES 3
Pat
Honored Contributor
Riccardo Pansini
Occasional Advisor

Re: install xp via recovery disk NOT on c:

Thanks Pat.

I am using Partition Magic, and I have created D: via that software and not through fdisk.

Please be more clear:
I think Part Mag does the job in a more software like way than on the hd itself.

If I use fdisk will i definitely get the option:
install on (1) c: or (2) d:?

Anybody there who has done this and can assure me of the option i would get??

If I have been using partition magis is because I need flexibility and being able to reassign the space between the two Hd's every now and then.

thanks
Ric
Pat
Honored Contributor

Re: install xp via recovery disk NOT on c:

Sorry it took so long to get back with you. Our time zones must be entirely different.

I haven't had the opportunity to perform a recovery in the same fashion on my unit and am sure I face doing so in the future.

This article may help further.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00239036&product=396428&dlc=enтМй=en#N1011B

I believe that will enable you to recover. Partition Magic will enable you to merge partitions without deleting the contents. But the above url guides from a Fresh Starting point.

Pat