New Discussion юеВ

is there a log file for shutdown/restart

SOLVED
Go to solution
Arturo Galbiati
Esteemed Contributor

is there a log file for shutdown/restart

Hi,
is there a log file in Windows where I can see the shutdown/restart of the server?
TIA,
Art
5 REPLIES 5
Bryan Eley
Trusted Contributor

Re: is there a log file for shutdown/restart

Hi Arturo,

Assuming I'm understanding your question correctly, "System" under Event Viewer should allow to you discover when your system started up or shut down. The actual file is generally located somewhere like C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt, but you probably won't be able to access it directly since the file is locked during a Windows session.

Typically you'll see something like "Microsoft(R) Windows 2000 (R) Service Pack 4 Uniprocessor Free." (example is from a Win2k system), and this is listed under the Source column as "eventlog".

Under normal circumstances when the system shuts down you will usually see another "eventlog" listed saying "The Event log service was stopped", indicating the system has initiated a shutdown.

Bryan
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

In the system event log you will get an entry for every restart of the server:

Source: eventlog
ID: 6006
Description: The event log service has ben stopped.

Source: eventlog
ID: 6005
Description: The event log service has ben started.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Bryan Eley
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, Ivan. I should have specified the event log ID for simpler browsing. My excuse was that my Computer Management window was sized too small to show the column. ;-)

Bryan
Arturo Galbiati
Esteemed Contributor

Ivan reply is fine
divesh4u

hi Ivan
thanks for reply.

But Is there any loopwhole in your trick.

Event log service may be stopped manually or by any other process other than RESTART Process.

Your Fast Reply in this regard will be highly appriciated

Thanks

Divesh K. Jain