New Discussion юеВ

link two computers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

link two computers

What I did is the following:

control panel -> network and connections -> connection wizard -> chose connect directly to another computer -> chose as host, of course the anoter computer, was chosen as guest, chose be accessed by other computer. select Direct Paralle (LPT1)->Incoming Connections (icon) appear. I made some selection by click this icon, and made some choice, but actually all items are selected.
In other computer I did the samething, except chose as guest, then I try access to host computer, but It fail, it show 721, the remote computer is not accessable.

Can someone help to fiure out where is the problem?

Thank you very much!

Cheng

8 REPLIES 8
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: link two computers

Cheng:

Why are you choosing LPT1? Do you have a special cable to facilitate such a connection? Do you not have RJ45 (ethernet) connectors on both computers?

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

It seems very difficulty for me to make connextion for 2 computers with RJ11 cable.

I change to COM1, then I think that is for mouse (right?), because I had troble to use the mouse, then I have to use F8 to go back to previouse correct known configuration, fortuantely it works.

I have tried many options, but did not work, Could some one can give very detail procedure? both computer is Win2000 professional. One used as host, another as guest.

I dont know where is the problem.

Thanks!

Cheng
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Hi Cheng
I never made such a connection, but the problem seems to me to be on the cable layout.
Do you have only one serial port? If you have at least two and/or COM1 is not used, you might try to connect them by COMx: with a cable like
DB9 - DB9
2 - 3
3 - 2
5 - 5
However the best solution would be a hub/switch. Also but only if you want to connect no more than 2 pc's you could but a RJ45 crossover cable and plug in both NIC cards.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Cheng:

Do both computers have an ethernet connector? You mentioned RJ11 (which is a four position connector with the 2 center positions populated). That is the modem connector. I'm not aware of how to make that work (except using 2 phone lines). RJ45 is the form of the ethernet connector. It is an eight position connector with all 8 positions populated. If both computers have an RJ45 connector, the easiest thing to do is cable each RJ45 connector to a hub/switch using an ethernet straight-through cable. As an alternative, an ethernet 'crossover' cable can be used to connect the two computers' RJ45 connectors to one another. You need to decide which technique you want to use and we'll help you make that work. To implement serial (COM:) or parallel (LPT:) direct-connection, you will need a specifically-configured cable. A company named Detto makes a hardware/software product that facilitates transferring files between 2 computers. It includes cabling and costs around $50 US. Here's the link:

http://www.detto.com/intellimover/

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

you mention "linking" but you don't mention what you want to do with this link.

i assume you want to transfer data from one to the other, but is this a one-off thing, or more like a network?

for general networking applications, Ethernet is considered standard. check both your computers for a fat-looking phone jack, with 8 connections in it (should be marked with a picture of a pair of computers connected by a line).

if you don't have one, you can purchase a network card for >$10 from your nearest computer retailor.

let me know what you want to do and i'll be happy to walk you through it.
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

You can buy a kit from the store that will give you two NIC (network interface cards) and a small hub.
Directions should be inside. Make sure you have a free slot inside the computer - most likely a PCI (small white plastic row of copper connectors).

Good Day
Work Smarter Not Harder
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

I think the problem is that my desktop computer has only modem, but no netcard. my notebook has modem and netcard. I thought i am using RJ11 cable, modem is enough.

I am right now in a small town, it is not convennient to buy things. But i will keep trying. Cheng
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Cheng:

Your profile indicates that you're in the United States, so I suggest you place an order to Office Depot at www.officedepot.com for the following items:

D-Link NIC ------------- 613639 $14.98
Belkin 14' cable ------- 360773 $11.84 each (get 2)
D-Link 5-port switch - 613720 $29.98

The 6 digit numbers are Office Depot item numbers. You can probably save some money by shopping around (maybe newegg.com).

Once you have those items, you'll have what you need to permanently network your 2 computers with the capability to add more in the future (up to 5).

HTH

Make a great day!

Roger

Make a great day!

Roger