1752364 Members
5820 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: my keyboard doesnt work in windows

iamthestar
Advisor

am happy that so many people tried to resolve my problem, but i will tell you again that, i have tried BIOS reset, the same keyboard works fine in linux and its not working in windows, i unplugged the keyboard and plugged the good keyboards, no worth, i havenot tried the usb keyboard, i have the usb mouse. my keyboard is generic 102 , US. thank you for your responses.
Tom Leavitt
Honored Contributor

Mudasir:
Sounds more and more like problems may have arisen when you started installing "...the new windows operating system." Thought might be given to starting over.
PS. HP FORUMS...for those who have attempted to assist you:
When you return to view an answer, please rate it by assigning points on a scale of 1-10.
To assign points, simply login and click the dropdown points menu next to each reply.
Use the following scale when rating a response:
N/A: The reply was a clarification to my original question
1-3: The answer didn't help answer my question, but thanks anyhow!
4-7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need help.
8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! I'm a happy camper!
Learn From History
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Since your PS2 keyboard port is bad, try the USB keyboard, it might work.

Consider replacing the motherboard.
Then the PS2 port should work fine.

Jim
Tom Leavitt
Honored Contributor

Mudasir's opening post stated:
"i have a ps/2 keyboard which WORKS pretty fine until you get on to the login screen then it halts..."
In his third post, he states: "...the same keyboard WORKS fine in Linux and its not working in windows."
If we assume he is using the same computer, could this still be a bad keyboard port ... or, any hardware problem?
Tom
Learn From History
madman_2

Same thing happened to my system when I tried to boot XP today (1/7/2006 after receiving some MicroSoft express updates a few days ago. I have a dual boot WIN-XP or Linux system. WIN-XP keyboard quits working at WINDOWS LOGON prompting for password but LINUX works fine. My son in law suggested trying serial keyboard or using a USB to SERIAL adapter. I happened to have an old serial keyboard (date on the bottom was 1987) and with it was able to get past this problem. Next step was to go to MY COMPUTER -> Properties -> HARDWARE and see that the drivers for my USB keyboard were no longer there. Plugging in the USB keyboard resulted in WINDOWS finding a bunch of stuff missing which got installed straight away. REBOOT with USB worked just find. My guess is that MicroSoft updates were the problem but it is just a guess.
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Sounds very logical.........

If the USB keyboard does not work, reinstall the windows driver for it.

Try the USB solution, Mudasir

Jim
iamthestar
Advisor

I replaced PS/2 keyboard with USB keyboard.
Prasad S.V.R.

Hi Everyone,

I am sure that the problem here is with the IRQ allot in the BIOS.

Mudasir: I request you to make the IRQ assigned for Keyboard as the prefered IRQ and make sure that no conflict is happening. Because Keyborad is hanging only when the OS is loaded up to Login screen which means when all the resouces of OS is coming in to picture it will try to use all the IRQ's available.

I wish if you could play with IRQ's, it will resolve the issue in a fashionable way.

Thanks,
Prasad S.V.R
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

what gives? several of us got 0 points for offering the suggestion that was eventually your solution...