1752778 Members
5931 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: n800v screen problems

Amit Gupta_7

n800v screen problems

Hi all,

I have a Compaq Evo n800v notebook, which has just recently gone out of warranty :-(.

Now this problem with my screen started just recently. The problem is that I am having problems with my screen, i am not seeing any lines or anything. But I am not able to view a clear screen. Its all grainy and the pixals seem to be not aligned properly. I can see the wallpaper and pages on my notebook, but its all grainy, I can read text but its not very clear. Also when I tilt my screen forward towards the base, at a certain angle (close to the base) the screen becomes fine momentarily and the moment i realign it, it stuffs up again.

So I guess the main problem is that my screen is not displaying properly, but it seems to work momentarily if I tilt my screen at a certain angle. I believe its a hardware issue and not a software issue.

This just started happening without me doing anthing. I havent dropped the notedbook or even done anything else to it physically. I did install Logitech Webcam software on it a few days ago, but it seemed to be working fine till yesterday.

If somebody could help me fix the problem myself I could really appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

My specs are:
Compaq Evo n800v
P4 1.7GHz
256MB RAM
60GB HDD
Windowx XP SP2

Cheers,
Amit.
22 REPLIES 22
Pat
Honored Contributor

Hi, Amit,

Try the following:

Right Click an empty area on Desktop
Click on Properties
Click on Appearance Tab
Click the Effects Button
Ensure "Use the following methods to smooth edges of screen fonts" is checked
Select Clear Type in the dropdown menu
Click OK

Click on Settings Tab
Click Advanced Button
On the General Tab under DPI Setting - Select Normal Size - 96DPI

Click Monitor Tab
Set Refresh Rate to 75 Hertz
Ensure Hide Modes that this monitor cannot display is checked

Click the Troubleshoot Tab
Move the Hardware Acceleration lever to the left - None

Click the Adaptor Tab
Click the All Modes Button
Ensure the correct Refresh Rate is selected for your unit (1024 X 768, True Color (32Bit), 75 Hertz
Click Ok
Click Ok
Click Apply
Click OK

You might also view these docs re: blank display

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph04760

If video problems are present after a normal boot and are not present after booting into VGA mode, the video driver may be the source of the problem. The video driver may be corrupt or may be set to run in an unsupported mode. Reinstalling the video driver using the most recent version will usually solve these problems.

NOTE: Always verify that refresh rates and display resolutions are supported by the video card, video driver and the monitor before adjusting any of these settings. Unsupported video settings can cause video problems including loss of video.

Pat

Amit Gupta_7

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. Pardon my spellings as I can barely make out what I am typing.

But I tried everything you told me, and it still does not solve the problem. When I reboot and I get that COMPAQ BIOS screen, even that screen is like this, grainy. i strongly believe its a hardware malfunction, perhaps you would konw better.

looking forward to your reply,

Cheers,
Amit.
Pat
Honored Contributor

It may be the driver or the video card.

Try updating driver.

Click Start and select Settings, Control Panel.
Double-click the Display applet. Select the Settings tab and click the Advanced├в ┬ж button.
Select the Adapter tab and click the Properties button.
Use the Update Device Driver Wizard to change your display device driver to the Microsoft "Standard Display Adapter (VGA)." Follow these steps. In the second step of the Wizard, select "Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location├в ┬ж"
In the next step, select the option "Show all hardware." Under Manufacturers, select "(standard display types)" and under Models select "Standard Display Adapter (VGA)."
Complete the remaining steps to Finish the Wizard and restart your computer when you are prompted to do so.

If that hasn't helped,

Start>Run>Type MSCONFIG and click OK
Choose Selective Startup and uncheck all the boxes below it
Click OK
Reboot the computer

If it's normal, there is a software issue that's loaded on startup

Are you able to switch video cards?

Amit Gupta_7

Hi paul,

Thanks again for your response. The problems seems to be with the LCD monitor. The wire which connects the LCD and the base seems to be stuffed up. If I put pressure on it, it seems to work fine and otherwise not. I called HP service centre and was told that i cant just replace the ribbon, and have to replace the entire LCD.

am in a bit of a bind now. dont want to spend another 1500 on a screen.

amit
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Amit:

When you say "stuffed up", is it physically damaged? If not, I would find the connection point and remove and re-insert the ribbon (with power off) and re-test. Usually those connectors have a split connector where the perimeter can be raised to relieve tension on the ribbon so it comes out and goes back in smoothly. Re-insert it as far as possible, then re-close the peripheral 'tensioner'. Hope this helps. $1500!!! What a great design, eh?

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Amit Gupta_7

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your response.

The wire is actually physically bend. what i mean is, when the system was assembled for some reason the ribbon was very long and hence wound around inside. due to the opening and closing of the screen, it got bend a lot and hence i presume a connection is broken within the ribbon somewhere. i can actually see at least one bend which is very close to cracking the ribbon. i am very much confident that if just the ribbon is replaced, it would save me a lot of hassle and money too.

i am trying to find a generic replacement for that part, but am not sure how much luck i will have. if i could get some help in that matter i would really appreciate it. i am trying to find some information on the net, but no luck yet. could you tell me if that part is actually replacable or i have to replace the entire LCD.

thanks to all again,
amit.

Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Amit:

Ask the same question(s) here:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=274

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Pat
Honored Contributor

Roger's right, Amit to refer you to other Evo Notebook owners. I'd be hard set to go against tech advice when it comes to components such as you've listed not being a computer technician.

Good luck!

Paul (Pat)
Andr├й Gauw

I have the same problem.
It's like half of the vertical lines of the TFT-screen are blackout.
If i turn on the power, you immediately see that there is something wrong.
This week i will go by a technician, maybe he can resolve the problem with some simple actions (hope so) . . .

Regards Andr├Г