1753366 Members
5709 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

need to update windows nt 4.0 to windows 2000 server

Thor_5

need to update windows nt 4.0 to windows 2000 server

Hi i am new to networking, and i need some help

where i work they have a dc controler and a nt 4.0 as a bdc but now they are going to get a new server windows2000 to have as a backup dc, and they want to update the nt 4.0 to windows2000 member server in a doman. what do i need to install this and how?
thanks for your help
5 REPLIES 5
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: need to update windows nt 4.0 to windows 2000 server

You'll be asked during the install if this computer is to become a DC or not.

Member server is one of the available options.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Dan Baxter
Frequent Advisor

If you have to upgrade a domain controller in place, you may not be asked if you want to make it a member server. I haven't done it in a while and can't remember.

However, once the upgrade is done, if it is a DC, then just run dcpromo and demote it back down to a member server.
Those who are different, change the world. Those who are the same, keep it that way.
Jose Antonio Orozco
Frequent Advisor

Due Windows2000 can't act as an Domain Controller (by design MS pushes you to Active Directory), you can only make it member server.
The Primary and Backup domain controller role is only supported by WinNT 4.0
You must first migrate to Active Directory (a whole project) and then reinstall NT as win2000 member server.
What is not backed up, it not exists
Jose Antonio Orozco
Frequent Advisor

Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

In a NT4 based domain a Windows 2K server acts like any other NT4 box and is fully supported. Most issues concern compatability with any third party software. In most cases third party software is just fine unless it has a need to directly interface with OS drivers. On the hardware side of things, most machines also have no problem EXCEPT if there are any old ISA cards installed.

That was the good part. The next is not so great. Windows 2000 can NOT act as a BDC in a NT4 domain. If you need a new machine in your existing domain you will need to load NT4 on it to ran as a BDC.

UPGRADING FROM NT4 TO A W2K DOMAIN IS NOT TRIVIAL!!! It is clear in your post that you are far from ready to do this. There is significant planning involved and it is clear that you have lots of reading and studying to do first. There are also many hardware and network capacity issues involved.

I would suggest that it may be time to get a consultant or a VAR in there who is well versed with the upgrade process to help you out. It will not be quick or inexpensive. But I'm sure that it will be less expensive to do it right the first time instead of over again.