Re: net use and system error 1231

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Sherman_5
Occasional Advisor

net use and system error 1231

I'm trying to put
"net use lpt1 \\print_server\itprinter /persistent:yes"
into a batch file so when I run a DOS program LPT1 gets mapped to my printer. However, I keep getting:
"System error 1231 has occurred. The network location cannot be reached."
when I do this. When I try it with Start -> Run it works great. Is there some way I can get LPT1 mapped to my printer when the DOS window runs, or automatically whenever I login? I will always need it mapped this way.
15 REPLIES 15
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Yes,
Control Panel, Printers, righ click on "itprinter", property, detail tab, connect printer to port, choice lpt1 port, set \\print_server\itprinter and select reconnect at startup.
Because I haven't english version, some term or word may be slightly different.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
John Sherman_5
Occasional Advisor

Antonio,

Thanks for the response, but I can't duplicate your solution. First, I should mention I'm running XP Pro, so that could make a difference. Next, I can't select the printer share name "itprinter", only the printer itself, which is an OfficeJet 6110. When I right click Properties, the only tabs available are General, Sharing, Ports, Advanced, Color Management, and About. I've tried looking in all of them for "Reconnect at Startup" and I don't see that option anywhere. Thanks for any and all help you can provide, since if I can't get this to work reliably I can't keep this printer.
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Hello

How to Assign a Logon Script to a Profile for a Local User:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315245&Product=winxp

Another way, assuming your PC is a stand alone PC, meaning is not connected to any server:
Start>run>type gpedit.msc>Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Logon>Set run these programs at computer logon to enabled and add the batch file.

As far as the error 1231, check your event log and post the Event ID over here along with the source name.

Hope this help and please consider assigning points.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
John Sherman_5
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the response. I'm finding that sometimes the net use command works and sometimes it doesn't, but I've never been successful at getting it to work from the command line in DOS or a batch file unless I get it to run from Start -> Run first. I tried checking event logs and couldn't find any record of the event anywhere in the Application, Security, or System logs. Thanks for the tip on gpedit.msc -- this looks really cool.
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Hello

If it works only from Start>Run then it's probably a PATH issue.

Go to Start>Run>type cmd>then type path and hit Enter key.

Specify the full path in the batch file before the net command.

See if this will work!
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Ok,
When you open property you see "General, Sharing, Ports, Advanced, Color Management, and About". Select Ports (as I posted I have no got english version); now you can see a button like "connect", click on it; now you can see a little windows with 3 object: port to select (choice LPT1), remote shared printer (write \\print_server\itprinter) and connect on reboot (select it).

H.T.H.
Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
John Sherman_5
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all the help -- I really apprecieate you giving it your best shot and in such a timely manner. You've been great!

It's not a PATH issue, since the NET command is in the path and works fine once I've executed it from Start->Run, and always answers up even when I get the error 1231.

Under the Ports tab I have Add, Delete, and Configre Port buttons. I suspect the button you're talking about is the "Congugure Port..." but when I try pushing it I get an error message.

So... I've decided to put my old printer back online (that has an LPT1 port) and give this one to someone else who doesn't need to run these old DOS programs. I've spent hours on this and don't have any more time top give it. If I buy another printer, I'll make sure it has an LPT1 port on it!

Once again, thanks for all the assistance.
Kristin Bell
Solution

Hello John..I know this post was put up a long time ago, but I was having the same problem the other day, and finally figured how to get this to work, and I was hoping you still needed some help.

First, have you ever heard of a hardware component already installed in Windows XP called "Microsoft Loopback Adapter"? That is the answer to all your problems.

If you have not already tried this, please email me or post back here, and I will give you step by step instructions on how to install. After you install this, everything should work properly. Please respond if you haven't done this already.

Thanks,
Kristin
John Sherman_5
Occasional Advisor

Hi Kristin,

It's been over 2 years ago, and I finally gave up and had to put the old printer back online and move the new one to another location that didn't need to run DOS windows. However, there's no telling how long the old printer will hold out and I'm still running the DOS programs that require this. I've heard of a loopback cable but never tried it out. If you have instructions on how to resolve this I'd still be interested in knowing. Thanks!