108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: net use and system error 1231

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kristin Bell

John,

I just about gave up as well, then I finally ran across this and FINALLY got it working..Okay, here are the steps...

1. Go to Control Panel
2. Open Add Hardware
3. Click Next
4. After Scan Finishes, select "Yes, I have already connected the hardware"
5. Click Next
6. Scroll to bottom of list and select "Add a new hardware device", Click Next
7. Select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced), click next
8. Select "Network Adapters", click next
9. Select "Microsoft" for Manufacturer
10. Select "Mircosoft Loopback Adapter" in the Network Adapter List, click next, click next again, and click finish.

Now, the network adapter you just added has is a virtual adapter and can be configured like your regular network card..So...Go back to Network Connections into the Control Panel, and go to the Properties of the new Loopback Adapter. Go into the TCP/IP Settings and configure the adapter with a Static IP Address. I used 192.168.1.1 for the IP and 255.255.255.0 for the Subnet Mask.

Two More Steps....

Share the Printer. I'm sure since you have worked so much with this, that you know exactly how to do this. Just go to the properties of printer you are wanting to use and go the "Sharing" tab and then click on Share Printer, then name the printer something simple so you can remember it when you capture it in DOS.

LAST... Go into DOS, and type the very well remembered command...

NET USE LTP1: \\COMPUTER NAME\PRINTER /PERSISTENT:YES

Hopefully this works for you! This worked the first time I tried it after days of stupid commands that never worked... Please let me know if this helps you..!

Thanks!!
Kristin
kristin.l@verizon.net
John Sherman_5
Occasional Advisor

I gave this a try with another printer I have connected to the network, and it seemed to work great! I'm curious as to why this does the trick though, since I'm just reating another network adapter that doesn't really do anything. Nevertheless, it looks like a solution. I'll definitely put this in my "bag of tricks".

--John
Kristin Bell

I'm not sure why this works...Seems like Microsoft hides so many things in Windows..I think they may do that just so we will call technical support and have to pay $35.00...lol...I'm glad it worked for you on that one printer...I am definitely hiding this in my bag of tricks too...

Kristin
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Sounds like going the long way to create a TCP port during the printer setup.

When you go to add the printer in Windows, Select local, but don't automatically detect the printer, click on "Next", then on the next screen (towards the bottom) create a new port. Select Standard TCP/IP port, then next. Supply the IP address, change the name (if you don't want it to be the address name) and continue through to finish the port setup. Finish the printer setup, then use the net use command to finish the process.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
mdgray222

Thanks Kristin.....

The loopback adapter solved the issue.  Thanks for posting

Michael

felferrari

Tks Kristin.....

Loopback adapter worked!!!

Felipe Ferrari