108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: programs running in background

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

programs running in background

Since I installed a new Norton System Works yesterday, the pc seems to be running constantly programs in the background. Is there any way to check which ones they could be? I have run all the virus, ad-aware and spybot programs and there was nothing suspicious noted. Another question: the pc now takes now more than 4 minutes to load, that seems to me almost twice as long as before I installed NSW. This is a 2.2 giga hertz pc.
c'est la guerre
8 REPLIES 8
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Joe,
"Windows applications run slower or stop responding after installing Norton SystemWorks"
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/pfdocs/1999081811535907
Norton takes many system resources....
You can do search in the Google and you will have many messages like "I loaded Norton System Works xxxx version on my machine and now it runs really slow. When I try to login it sometimes takes
a couple of minutes."
See this link as well
http://www.techiwarehouse.com/cms/engine.php?page_id=aaa592f1
Eino V
Honored Contributor

Hi Joe
You can see and shoose stated programs by:
- Click Start - Click Run - write msconfig - click OK and then Startup tab.
Eino
DCE
Honored Contributor

you can alt-ctl-del to get the windows task manager up. Look in the processes tab for all of the running processes.

You can google each process to find out what that does, and whether you want it to run
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

here is a screen shot of the processes at start up,
Which ones can I safely uncheck?
c'est la guerre
Eino V
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Joe

I think, all programs with lokation c:\program..... are not necessary to start Windows.

Eino
Eino V
Honored Contributor

Joe

You can start these programs, if you need them. You can take the off from start menu.

Eino
Eino V
Honored Contributor

Joe
You can also add the tabs back there, if you want later to start some of them, when you are logging on.
Eino
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Thanks Eino,
my pc starts up now within 2 minutes with the essential programs still on the startup list (like virus scanner).
c'est la guerre