Operating System - Microsoft
1748011 Members
4411 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "UMB upper limit segment address: E77B"?

SOLVED
Go to solution

"UMB upper limit segment address: E77B"?

I just happened to noticed this on the screen prior to bootup. what does this mean? is this an error or something. By the way i have upgraded my CPU from 600b mhz/133 to 1000b mhz/133 (Pavilion 8613), and 2 256 kingston sdrams pc133 from my previous 64mb pc100. the machine seems ok just wondering what this is. many thanks...
15 REPLIES 15
Ramesh Pakkath
Honored Contributor

Hi Edgar,

This error is generally a Phoenix BIOS error. Lets try updating the BIOS and check if it helps. Download the update from the following link.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?product=61055&os=54&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv502en

Ramesh Pakkath.

Nothing is "imPOSSIBLE"
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Edgar:

Is this the same computer from your other message? Are you using WIN2K?

I would try going into the BIOS Setup program and reset to defaults, save, and exit. If you upgrade the BIOS, it is essential that you do this after the upgrade.

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger

My bios revision is 2.10. I cant seem to find an updated bios download from HP. Ive resetted the bios but it still appears will this do harm on my system? Yep, it's the same PC. im attached to this unit so i just want to maximize its capabilities. The upgrades ive done is the PIII 1ghz processor, 512sdram pc133, 64mb Nvidia pci MX200 VC, Next would be a 40gig barracuda seagate and use my 10 gig as a slavedrive, then i might (just might) replace that damn teac 4x4x32x cdrw, im going nuts trying to make this thing work on win2k, now on SP4. Not very practical though because at the price i spent i would have gotten a newer box probably more juiced up, but hey i love my HP! Still prestige and poise over those cloned PCs (no offense) that's why i need your assistance, y'all been very very accomodating and supportive. I dont know how to thank you enough...:)
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Edgar,
can you boot?
DO you find some trouble using PC?

@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti

i can boot and the pc runs smoothly than before. just wishing hp would release an bios update soon.

I cant install bios update named merc-116.exe as posted in my other post "WIN2k pro on Pav 8613 how?" coz when i try to flash it a message say DMA string to large cannot continue. Also im running on Win2k now, shall i revert to win98 to run this bios update (while at it, is this bios update really intended for the pav8613?) tried a couple of times but it just wont flash and displays the DMA string error. Anybody knows if this update actually for my unit? The date on my current bios is a tad more recent than the merc-116? what to do please?
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Edgar,
sorry but I've not idea cause your problem. It seems DMA channel is used by some device during upgrade bios.
You could disabling all dma access/driver (for example LPT), then starting in safe mode and update bios.
I'm not sure this work.

@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Edgar:

I don't think you want to install BIOS at 1.16 if you're already at 2.10 with a newer date.

Can you return to the old video solution without changing anything else and see if that clears the UMB message?

Thanks and make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger

I think ive got it. After browsing through the support site (which i should have done in the first place) Ive read that my pc supports only upto 256mb SDRAM pc 100 = two 128MB dimms. I dont get it, the processor is 133mhz shouldnt it be the same with the memory meaning pc133. The ones currently installed in my unit are 2 256mb pc133mhz. And that is causing the UMB upper limit segment address message at bootup, i think. Though in BIOS it is read as 512MB and the PC seems ok (so far), or I just dont know if the upgrade i made to 512 is pointless coz the pc can only accomodate 256mb. What do you think?