Operating System - Microsoft
1753808 Members
8356 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

remote control solution - pcAnywhere or other?

Andy Dane
Occasional Advisor

remote control solution - pcAnywhere or other?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some constructive opinions on any remote control solution that will allow me to take control of a console of any NT4/Win2000 server in our IT environment around the globe.

The solution must be considered secure in order for it to be approved by our internal Security team. This means suitable levels of authentication and control over who has access.

We have been scared off by rumours that PCAnywhere is "easily broken" and are looking for verification that it or a similar package is secure enough. Does anyone have any strong opinions/experience on any solution that I should be aware of when reviewing PCAnywhere and its rivals?

Many thanks,

Andy
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
2 REPLIES 2
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: remote control solution - pcAnywhere or other?

Can't help you on the security aspects though our pcAnywhere has several encryption options. Do know that it's the only one we could find which operates reliably over a double satellite hop.

Ron
Paul R. Dittrich
Esteemed Contributor

Re: remote control solution - pcAnywhere or other?

We discarded PCAnywhere in favor of this:

http://www.binaryresearch.net/remotelyanywhere.html

It's as secure as anything else we looked at and works well over our WAN links. The pricing is good, support is good and the developers are responsive to user feedback.

HTH,
Paul