Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rename file

AnthonyB
Occasional Advisor

rename file

I have a few thousand txt files that I need to rename.
The third line in each text file is a line with some text and/or numbers in brackets.
i.e (D182-400-654)
Is there anyway of interrogating a text file and renaming the file using the text in this line as the filename, but without the brackets?
4 REPLIES
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Re: rename file

Hi,
you should build a script, using the findstr command.

otherway you can download grep and awk for windows a build a script with them (i'm unix minded !)

HTH,
Massimo
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

I'm with Massimo on this one. I think a Unix utility would work more efficiently. You could poke around http://www.cygwin.com/ and see if you're interested in that route or if you want to stick with the Windows route findstr will work.
Try a findstr /? for more info.

Jim
Hindsight is 20/20
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

I'm with Massimo on this one. I think a Unix utility would work more efficiently. You could poke around http://www.cygwin.com/ and see if you're interested in that route or if you want to stick with the Windows route findstr will work.
Try a findstr /? for more info.

Jim
Hindsight is 20/20
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

(sorry about the double post above, i tried to pull it back before i submitted it)

What might work even better, but there is more of a learning curve is a simple basic program like QBasic. You could even try to find a freebee visual basic around.

Jim
Hindsight is 20/20