Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sort help

Scott_20
Occasional Advisor

sort help

I trying to create a sort for 5 chords:
G C D A E and I'd like to output all possible combinations. Can this be done automatically in excel or does any have script that can do this?
thanks
scott
I'm ok
4 REPLIES
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: sort help

Hi,

excuse me, if I do not understand your question. Do you want a list of all combinations from those 5 characters?

greetings,

Michael
Scott_20
Occasional Advisor

Michael
Yes, that is exactly correct.
thanks
scott
I'm ok

No u cant do that in Excel directly
u have to write a script for that,or an macro
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Honored Contributor

Wow, this is math stuff... permutations and combinations. neat stuff, but details matter.

You may be able to find a free statistical package on the web to plug into excel, to help you manage this.

Programmatically thats gonna be pretty simple, but I think you need to define the problem a little better...

Is G G G G G a valid combination?

Is G A G G G valid?
-if so why is this valid and not the first
-a rule might be no more than four identical in a row...

--

The simplest case is each must appear, and appear only once...

The you have 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120 combinations.

Thats quite a list.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...