New Discussion юеВ

Re: spybot result

SOLVED
Go to solution
Randy C.
Valued Contributor

Vonda,

Don't know if this helps, but NewDotNet (new.net) is a piece of software that appears to be from the same people that brought us the quicksearch toolbar :-(

This page has an explanation of the what the software does http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/NewDotNet.html

The creator says it can be removed via add/remove software in windows or through their uninstaller. Check out the page at http://www.newdotnet.com/removal.html

Hope this helps.

Randy
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
If you are still struggling with this, get Hijackthis from majorgeeks.com, or cnet and run it, post the log and we'll take a look. You could also try and remove the offending item using Hijackthis..

Good luck.. Omar
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Hi Vanda,
Check if you have the program NEW.NET installed on your system, you can check it in control panal->add remove programs

You can uninstall it their if it is on your system but you would probebly get an error on each boot that a file can not be openend or something like that, can not rembermber exact error. This message is not harmfull, only irritating, their is a procedure to delete it, but lets first see if you have the program installed.

NEW.NET is a browser plugin that can serious block network trafic, atleast it did that her, it was automaticly installed from a www.babylon.com or .nl (not sure anymore)

Hope this gets you a step futher,
Regards, Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

You might also try attacking the problem with Ad-Aware and CCleaner. I find that between the 3 products that almost all spyware is taken care of...
Vonda van Raamt
Frequent Advisor

Thank you all for the replies so far. First I did use the recommended anti spyware from MS, I will now try to download the newer version of spybot. I checked in Ad-remove programs, but the New.Net is not present there. see attached log from HJT
Tom Leavitt
Honored Contributor
Solution

Vonda:
Symantec Security Response has developed a removal tool for this security risk. Use this removal tool first, as it is the easiest way to remove this risk.
The tool can be found here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FxNdotN.exe
Please let us know.
Tom
Learn From History
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Right Vonda,
I think we may be chasing a red (or perhaps a pink) herring!

Just looking carefully at your original post, all that appears to be saying is that something has removed that file [antivirus or antispyware app?] (please check the spelling of the file(wininit.ini or winninit.ini) as there appear to be references to different flavours on the net.

In either event, I would look for any reference to it in the registry, win.ini(if present)

In any event, it doesn't appear to be a "clear and present danger"
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Vonda van Raamt
Frequent Advisor

Thank you all. the removal tool from symantec disclosed that there was no problem