108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: spybot warning

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

spybot warning

Spy bot detected Back Web Lite as a threat, but could not remove it. Should be removed? this is the write up about it:
Description
Comes with Western Digital Data Lifeline as well as with HP & Compaq systems. If you intended to install the normal BackWeb, please add BackWeb to your exclude list. But if you know nothing about installing BackWeb, chances are good that it is the 'lite' version. This one connects to a Cameocast server (Source: http://www.cexx.org/dlgli.htm), and you can read Cameo's privavy statement above.

Privacy Statement
BackWeb: Stay in the loop With BackWeb's reporting capabilities, you'll know who received each delivery, when they received it, and how they interacted with it.
CameoCast: CameoCAST pushes content to your hard drive while you are online.
[...]This information such as the type of browser being used, its operating system, and your IP address, is gathered in order to enhance your online experience.

c'est la guerre
24 REPLIES 24
Pat
Honored Contributor

Hi, Joe,

It came on my Pavilion. It's listed in add/remove programs as HP Update and can be removed. I've removed it from my system.

I'd had it listed twice with another anti-spyware (SBC/Yahoo) application but was warned the last time about removing it. When I did, I received the following and ended up doing a System Recovery.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00061410

Once you perform the recovery, you're not bothered with the "Invalid Backweb ... " message again. You're then directed to add/remove programs to remove the application but check HP's site for available updates.

Many organizations are using Backweb including SBC/Yahoo from what I've been told.

Thanks for the warning.

Pat
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Hi Pat,
Is the Backweb program from HP the same as this "Back Web Lite"? It only started showing the last few scans with spybot. On our HP pc it does not come up, this pc was made by a computer company (Microage)
c'est la guerre
Cheryl G.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Backweb is basically the same program in all forms,it is the use of it by whomever that differs.I for one do not like any form of software running unauthorized on my machines,good or bad.
Look in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup for any reference to backweb or anything else you don't recognize and delete it.
Also look in the registry for a run key for backweb.Start,Run and type regedit.Expand Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run.Once you click on Run a list will appear on right side for all items having an entry to startup with Windows.If backweb is there,right click and delete it.
Reboot and run Spybot S&D again.
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Cheryl G.
Acclaimed Contributor

If you are not comfortable editing the registry,a-squared HijackFree is a free utilty to stop programs from running at startup.No installation,just click the downloaded file to use.Handy for all sorts of items actually,easy to disable and re-enable items as you need.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4516.html
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Thanks for the help. I keep on learning from all the members to this forum.
c'est la guerre
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Hi Cheryl,
I followed all the steps, and could find no reference to backweb lite in Doc/set./all users etc. and neither in hkey_local machine etc. however, when I ran spybot again, the backweb lite entries showed up again. I went to search and they showed up there as zipfiles. I deleted them and ran spybot again. They are stil there. (see attachment)I went through the whole procedure again with the same results. Any suggestion?
c'est la guerre
Pat
Honored Contributor

Joe,

Have you deleted the files from Spybot's recover/restore file?

I believe they make a backup in case you want to restore them.

You can open the recovery/restore file and delete them from there.

Pat

Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Hi Pat, I have tried that now also, but the result is the same (see attachment)i did delete from the recovery feature and restarted. While I am at it, I see many files being scanned that I have no clue as to where I can find them how they came on my pc (maybe my son when he was using it?) Like: coolsearch, gain gator, hippy...,zwax, ras dial etc. it went too fast to get all the exact file names. i tied the search feature of windows.
c'est la guerre
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Hi Pat, I have tried that now also, but the result is the same (see attachment)i did delete from the recovery feature and restarted. While I am at it, I see many files being scanned that I have no clue as to where I can find them how they came on my pc (maybe my son when he was using it?) Like: coolsearch, gain gator, hippy...,zwax, ras dial etc. it went too fast to get all the exact file names. i tried the search feature of windows.
c'est la guerre