1752359 Members
6376 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: start up of programs

Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

start up of programs

where in windows XP can I find which programs are running in the background? I tried to install PM8 and keep getting this error message: error 27: cannot lock drive, entire progress 100%. I have looked in the controll panel and window explorer.
According to Norton's help file that error has something with another file being in use.
I'll try to attach a file with screenshots of the steps I have taken .
On an other note, I see frequently posts about updating the BIOS, is that necessary and if so, when would that be.
c'est la guerre
17 REPLIES 17
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Joe:

What's PM8? Where are the BIOS update messages coming from? PM8?

Tell us the mfgr/model of your computer and we may be able to advise you re: BIOS upgrade.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

PM 8= Partition Magic 8 that is now distributed by Norton.
I have been trying to use it after installation, but keep getting the error message 27 I have tried to download the patch that Latif did mention in the previuos post about Partition Magic 8, but I get also an error message on that.I checked with Norton help file and this is the info on it: "Error 1628: Attributes out of order, File %lu (%lu) (EA39065C)"

Situation:
You see "Error 1628: Attributes out of order, File %lu (%lu) (EA39065C)" while using one of the following products:
- PartitionMagic
- PartitionMagic Pro
- Drive Image
- Drive Image Pro
- DriveCopy
- VolumeManager
- ServerMagic

Solution:
Run CHKDSK /F on the affected drive.
For instructions on running CHKDSK, see the document How to run Microsoft CHKDSK from the command line.
Technical Information:
The attributes in a file record must be stored in order of ascending type followed by ascending Unicode name, if they have names.**
I did run the CHKDSK and tried to install the patch again to no avail.** the bios question was more out of curiosity. The system i wanted to put the PM 8 on is Multi media computer system, Athlon AMD 2700 processor windows XP home edition 2002
c'est la guerre
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Start / Run / msconfig

This program will open and will tell you what is running. It also gives you the ability to turn them off.

However, the easiest thing to do as a beginner is to boot into safe mode. Tap F8 a few times after you see the PC maker's logo. In safe mode only the bare minimum system programs will run. That should allow your PM8 to do its thing (unless you are trying to do it to the C: drive that you are running on.)

Ron
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Hi Ron, yes I have only the one hard drive, C. I will ry that suggestion and maybe I can see which programs are running in the back ground.
c'est la guerre
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

I did restart in the diagnostic mode, but even that way the error message 27 came up and I could not proceed from there. Could it be a faulty program cd? or does someone have other ideas to try.
c'est la guerre
Kim Torkelson
Respected Contributor

Joe:
Are you trying to make your "C" drive smaller than 55% of the current partition size? I don't think you are supposed to do that with NTFS... Not 100% sure about that however. I think my assistant might have managed it with PM8 recently, but I can't ask him since he's on vacation right now.

To see what's currently running on your WinXP machine, click Ctrl-Shift-Esc. This will bring up the Task Manager. You can see what Applications and what Processes are running.

Have you done a Virus Scan? Checked for Spyware? If not, please do a virus scan (you can do a free scan at www.antivirus.com). Then download and install AdAware AND Spybot (I like to do Adaware first, then Spybot second). You can Google them to find the downloads. I like to download AdAware from Tucows.com, and Spybot from Downloads.com. (just my personal preference, based on experience of ease of download) You can get an excellent, free antivirus program at www.grisoft.com

My opinion about updating the BIOS: If everything is Hunky-Dory, why mess with it? but if the BIOS has a fix for something that is troubling you, go for it. Or if your machine is giving you fits, maybe the BIOS upgrade will fix it, even if the release notes don't specifically mention your trouble.

Good Luck
~kim
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Hi Kim, I did do a complete virus scan, ad-aware and spybot search & destroy scan. I also did a re store and re installed the Partion Magic 8 I only started with a 2 gig/b partition with the intention of making one more. I also did as per previous suggestion a CHKDSK scan and the one button check up with the Norton system works. At the last I tried to partition the hard drive with the system in diagnostic mode since the error 27 message seem to indicate that other files were in use. (can not lock drive, entire progress 100%. I tried to contact the support tech from Norton, but they only refer you to the knowledge files or a phone number (it would be cheaper to buy a new program if there was a problem with the cd). see attached screen shot of last action before clicking the "apply" button
c'est la guerre
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

pitty your not getting a filename of the locked file, you could use Process Explorer from systernals to discover what process has it locked.
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

i'm not familar enough with partition magic 8, largly becuase i work in a shop where the desktop turnrate is high enough that resizing harddisks is not required.

i'm going to keep my eye on this thread and pop in with further help if i can though
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Kim Torkelson
Respected Contributor

Are you logged in as an administrator?

Also, I'd get rid of ALL that junk in your startup folder, then restart. You can put the items in a new folder called "Startup Disabled" if you think you might want them starting up later, so you can easily put them back.

Here's some good info about MSCONFIG...

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

~kim