Operating System - Microsoft
1751924 Members
4736 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

tracking down resolution to "Compaq Armada M700 not recognising my new 40 GB toshiba Harddisk"

tone_1

tracking down resolution to "Compaq Armada M700 not recognising my new 40 GB toshiba Harddisk"

Hi there

i'm pretty new to the forum - hope you can help.

I've completely re-formatted my compaq M700, but when trying to boot from CD it doesn't detect my cd drive.

I've searched the forums and found a resolution
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=781673

the only problem is is that it doesn't work for me. When i reboot the laptop says Invalid system disk, replace and press any key.

I'm trying to track down the initial post to see if i'm doing something wrong - or if anyone can shed some light?

I'd be really really grateful for any kind of suggestion. thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Re: tracking down resolution to "Compaq Armada M700 not recognising my new 40 GB toshiba Harddisk"

Hi Tone,
That post was a marathon!
OK, let's see if we can take it step by step:

1.You are getting the non system disk because you have no OS on the drive.

2. Have you set the CD drive a s your FIRST boot device in the bios?

3.Unless you have W2K or XP.. or very few disks for W98 rel 2, you can't boot from CD..

So.. what exactly are you trying to do?
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
tone_1

Re: tracking down resolution to "Compaq Armada M700 not recognising my new 40 GB toshiba Harddisk"

Hi Omar,

thanks for the quick reply. Sorry but i already figured it out. Thing was when i went to look for my post, it was a nightmare looking for it.

So i gave up and waited for a post to come through!

For those interested, because i was using a multibay - when booting from floppy, it couldn't find the cd - so i downloaded something called cdindos2 from Bootdisk.com.

I was then able to boot - after reading the instructions (it is pretty tricky). But eventually got the laptop to detect the cd and install from dos! Phew!

thanks again
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Good man.. I see you DID read that marathon!
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
tone_1

cheers!