1748255 Members
3994 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

upgrade windows NT 4.0 to windows 2003

Muhammad Shamroze
Frequent Advisor

upgrade windows NT 4.0 to windows 2003

Hello, There is server ML-530, in which RAID 1 is configured on OS, and Os is Windows NT 4.0 and I want to upgrade the server to windows 2003 so please can any body tell me that what steps should be taken while upgrading from windows NT 4.0 to windows 2003 server...please reply me soon..waiting for your reply thank you
6 REPLIES 6
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: upgrade windows NT 4.0 to windows 2003

The Microsoft official document is what you can trust:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326209/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815332/en-us
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Basically the best policy is to remove NT4 first ( delete the partition first ), then install Win2003 cleanly. This is more stable. Hang the data and apps at a backup workstation or server before doing this.

Jim
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Hi Muhammed,
Like Jim said, a clean install is much more stabel. but if this is your only Domain controller you can not format it and rebuild it with 2006, you loose all the users, permission settings etc.

What you can do is to install a workstation with Win2003 and add it as an BDC your domain. Also copy recourses like printers to the workstation.
When that works you can shut down you NT4 DC and your network should still function. Then upgrade the Win2003 to a full Win2003 domain, with AD.
Now your network is fully Win2003, then reinstall your NT4 server with a clean install as an aditional DC in your new win2003 domain. Now your domain is upgraded and all the users etc. are still present.

If You recieve problems during with the temporary workstation as server, you can simply connect the NT4 server again and you have your old situation back.

Have a nice day,
HTH, Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

see your other thread for my answer...
Karl Hungus

Muhammad Shamroze
Frequent Advisor