3682 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: winXP Hal.dll Courrupt errors keep comming back

Scott_14
Regular Advisor

winXP Hal.dll Courrupt errors keep comming back

Hello:

I have a pc, with XP Home edition on it, and after several days the pc would not boot, and would display the Hal.dll, is missing or courupt error.

I have been tring to resolve this issue for some time now, with some fixes I seen off the net, such as checking your boot.ini, getting it off the CD, and runing the recovery.

I have just reloaded this PC less than a week ago, it is a Gigabyte MB, 528 mem, and it is using NTFS.
This morning I got a call that the PC again has caused this error. So it seems that no matter what I do, it comes back every few days.

Can anyone offer some other suggestion? It has only one disk, and I am not doing any dul booting, just plain XP.
7 REPLIES 7
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

You can get the same message if the PC is having trouble finding the harddrive. I'd open it up check that the cables are all in tight and find the maker and PN of the harddrive while I'm there then go to their website and download their test program. Perhaps it will find something.

You don't say who makes your PC but the maker's website may also have a new BIOS or other upgrade which might help.

Finally next time it runs make sure you go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and get all of the XP patches. There are a bunch of them.

Ron
Paul R. Dittrich
Esteemed Contributor

hal.dll is the Hardware Abstraction Layer that lets Windows keep software from ever talking to hardware. If it keeps getting corrupted I would be looking at disk issues; bad cables, bad controller, drive going flaky.

HTH,
Paul
Scott_14
Regular Advisor

Hi Again...

Its a Gigabyte Mother Board, I have opened up the PC, and checked all the cables, and even re-seated the memory. I beleive its a Western Digital HD< the PC is offsite, so I need to get over to it to double check that.

Do you really think it could be the HD?, its just a year old, and I would have thought I would of gotten other errors if it was a drive, I have done several formats on it, and one last weekend when I re-installed it.

After searching the net, I found a lot of other people had run into this same error, and there seems to be the same indications of the boot.ini, or to copy back the dll from the CD to correct, however this only solves it for a day or so.

I will see if I can get a test program to run on it, as you had indicated. I have also done all the updates, at one time, then after a reload a month ago, I did not, thinking something it updated was still causing it.

Thanks for the help, if it is indeed the hard drive, would this Hal, error always be the first indicator? I would have thought I would have seen other stuff as well, and sometimes if you reset it it will boot ok, and if left on, it runs without a hic, so I am not really sure the HD is going bad.

Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

If there were a flaky spot in your boot partition then you would only see it when you boot.

If not the Disk then the BIOS or (ugh!) the motherboard. You might try a BIOS upgrade if one is available. Also look in your setup and see what options you have with regard to ACPI. Turn off any power saving features in the BIOS.

Have you seen:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q237556

It's for 2000 but most of the same stuff should work for XP.

Ron
Scott_14
Regular Advisor

Thanks, I have seen this white page last week.

I did call a friend of mine who does a lot of MS stuff, and has more insights that I do.

He has suggested everything I have tried, and some of the things you were posting, one thing he did suggest, which can be a bit different, since the drive is a 60gig, is to partician it up, the thought is due to the size, and he has seen off the wall stuff with MS products, that maybe by makeing the particians a bit more manageble for it, would resolve it, and that is not to say that XP cant handle it, but it something else to try, since it is always dealing with booting, and somehow either it does not find the boot file quick enough or something. I may try it this week, before this PC gets to far into being a hassle to backup up everthing once again.

Scott_14
Regular Advisor

ok, after re-reading my reply and the white pages, I have to ask, what I hope is not a silly question.
WIth the computer type, how do i know what should be selected for the pc? I know its a gigabyte mother board, and 1 cpu, now to me that would mean a standard pc, but with the selections I am not sure now.

thanks
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Don't know what you are selecting or what your options are so can't really help. www.belarc.com has a neat program called the belarc advisor which will tell you almost all there is to know about your PC. Perhaps that would give you the info you need.

Seems to me the boot partition does not use NTFS but rather the old style so that it shouldn't matter how big the main partition is but who knows.

Ron