Re: 10 year uptime of VMS cluster for Amsterdam Police

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

10 year uptime of VMS cluster for Amsterdam Police

Yes,
it is due 13 april, at 09:35:50 GMT.

I have had requests for an e-mail address or other mechanism to vonvey congrats.

Since the entire police network is behind rather strict firewalls, we have chosen for a dual mechanism, where I will do the coordination.

On our inTRAnet we will have a page, sporting all (acceptable) messages.
It will be organised by sender's country.

First, if you want to "make it to the list", the following rules will have to be obeyed.

1. Just PLAIN ASCII text, either as the mail body, or as an attachment, an then _ONLY_ of filetype ".TXT"
Any images, executables, control characters etc, and the filters will simply throw the entire mail into the bit bucket (no bouncing), and if many of those arrive, _I_ will get blamed.

2. (in view of the planned ordering) any acceptable message _MUST_ contain your country.

3. Any message must be in Dutch or in English; or contain a literal translation in one of those.

Of course, your personal name is much appriciated, and if you can (and may) add your company name (maybe job title); GREAT!

--------

If you allow "the world" to see your message, post it as a reply in this thread. (I will have to transfer those to the Intranet site, so please, JUST a reply, NO attachments)

If you want your message to be "police eyes only", them e-mail it to

openvms (at) amsterdam (dot) politie (dot) nl

I have to ask you to NOT do both: choose one method.

Current planning is that messages that have arrived before april 12, 10:00 AM GMT get included in the actual intranet congrats page on display at the Moment Supreme.

And now it just remains to invite you to join (in only virtually) in the celebration.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
30 REPLIES 30
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor
Solution

The significance of this achievement for me is not the 10 years uptime but maintaining 100% application availability for 10 years while replacing all the hardware and relocating the systems. This demonstrates world class system management discipline as well as the excellence of the underlying platform that you use.

Congratulations to you and the team!

I encourage you to write a book or at least an article for the VTJ documenting how you did it so we can all learn.

for people unfamiliar with this cluster see

http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=03/11/28/7758863
and
[Broken link removed on <4/18/2017> by Mod]

The VMS cluster uptime record is held by the the WVNET cluster which celerbrated 10 years
in January 2006.

Ian,

thanks for your reaction,

all others: allow me to re-state my rules for this thread:

(they are to make my work easier in constructing the Intranet congrats register)

- Please STATE YOUR CONTRY (and any other profile info that may be used) __inside__ your reply.
I intend to categorize by contry.

I know it is available through your "My Profile", but I expect to have to process most of this last-minute, and I probably will have little time to do it.

---
points assignment for this thread will be after the actual milestone.
----
typo in original post: between the parenthesis in the last line it should say:

if only virtually

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe

Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Hey guys,

Here another supporter of this system.
I do realy congratuale you all there, I know I'm one of the architects and writers of the management routines and all hardware related on this cluster.

Anton van Ruitenbeek (AvR)
The Netherlands
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

I would like to present messages from as many countries as possible, so, if your contry is not yet listed, consider that an extra invitation to react!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Verne Britton
Regular Advisor

JPE, here is my posting:

--------------------------------------------

Please accept my congratulations on reaching your cluster uptime milestone ... GREAT WORK.

As a co-worker of the system manager of the WVNET cluster, I know first-hand how hard it can be to keep a cluster up for such a long time.

Again you and all your team have done a magnificent job (as others have said) during your various hardware upgrades and relocations.

Verne Britton
Lead Systems Programmer
WVNET
West Virginia, USA

--------------------------------------------

end of posting

Verne
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Verne,

for the obvious reason I am especially pleased by YOUR congrats!

And that also gives me the opportunity to reciproke congrats to YOU and YOUR TEAM on your achievement (as I am not aware of any earlier occasion to do so).

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Ron Kaledas
Advisor

Jan -

Congrats on your 10 year cluster uptime! Of course, we all know VMS is the best operating system on the planet, but we also know it takes good people to keep it going through all of the events that can happen, like moves and power problems and such.

Great to hear it! Keep it going!

Ron Kaledas
Detroit, Michigan, USA
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Congrats,

Have one on me.

Shmuel Protter
Unix Systems Administrator
NDS LTD Israel
Jerusalem, ISRAEL