108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2 DS20E servers on same network.

SOLVED
Go to solution
robert70
Valued Contributor

2 DS20E servers on same network.

i am running a DS20E with VMS 7.3-2 and Pathworks.We connect using telnet.
I have a configured a 2nd DS20E box with same operating system/pathworks with different node name and IP address. When this 2nd server is placed on the network it crashes some of the original servers telnet sessions and the new servers telent sessions dont appear to work? should the subnet mask and/or broadcast IP be the same in both machines?
any help please!
14 REPLIES 14
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Robert,

Welcome to the itrc OpenVMS forum.

please give us some more details to work with.

Can you show your IP configuration on both systems with $TCPIP SHOW INTER.

Can you give the versions of PATHWORKS and TCPIP (and which vendor!)?

Regards to Auld Reekie,

Duncan

Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

>>> I have a configured a 2nd DS20E box with same operating system/pathworks with different node name and IP address.

Did you do a fresh operating system installation or did you use a copy of the existing system? If you're using a copy of the first DS20e, you'll also need to update the DECnet address. DECnet sets the MAC address based on the address which may cause some interesting network behavior. See the VMS FAQ at Hoffmanlabs.com. http://64.223.189.234/node/589

Of course you've also made sure to update the license database with the appropriate products for your new system if this is a copy.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Hoff
Honored Contributor

If telnet sessions are tipping over, there's probably an address collision, or a routing error of some sort, that's been introduced here. There are some somewhat less likely triggers potentially lurking here, such as a screaming (failed) network controller, or a cable fault or such. And it's easy to miss an address collision on a secondary controller, too.

As for whether subnet mask and the broadcast address are the same, all nodes within a particular subnet typically share those values. The hosts will typically also share a default route and some other values.

If there's a VLAN and addresses are messed up, all bets are off; all sorts of weirdness can arise as the VLANs try to deal with the address collision.

That this subnet question is being asked could indicate some unfamiliarity with IP networking. For one form of that and as applied to OpenVMS, please see the introductory manual in the TCP/IP Services documentation.

If the second AlphaServer DS20e system disk was cloned from the first, then you may want to read this discussion on the various spots where the node name and node address can lurk: http://64.223.189.234/node/589
robert70
Valued Contributor

Duncan,

Thanks, hope you can help
auld reekie is cold today!

Existing machine
IE0
129.94.185.45 255.255.255.128 LO0
127.0.0.1 255.0.0.0

New Machine
IE0
129.94.185.46 255.255.255.128 LO0
127.0.0.1 255.0.0.0

Robert

robert70
Valued Contributor

>>Did you do a fresh operating system installation or did you use a copy of the existing system? If you're using a copy of the first DS20e, you'll also need to update the DECnet address. DECnet sets the MAC address based on the address which may cause some interesting network behavior. See the VMS FAQ at Hoffmanlabs.com. http://64.223.189.234/node/589

Hoff, yes i used a copy of the existing system. do i still need to update the decnet address even if im using pathworks? not using decnet at all?
robert70
Valued Contributor

sorry last reply meant for andy apologies
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Robert,

As noted, having the same DECnet addresses can play havoc, particularly since the MAC address of a DECnet node is reset to a formula that includes the DECnet node number.

If this is the case, I would suspect that the ARP tables are getting confused. Suggestion, verify the contents of the ARP tables on the last hop router.

If my suspicion is correct, the SCSID and DECnet node address need to be changed in concert (at the same time).

Please remember to change the SCSID in the files used by AUTOGEN to prevent a future recurrence.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
robert70
Valued Contributor

>>Suggestion, verify the contents of the ARP tables on the last hop router.

If my suspicion is correct, the SCSID and DECnet node address need to be changed in concert (at the same time).

Please remember to change the SCSID in the files used by AUTOGEN to prevent a future recurrence.

Thanks Bob
Im pretty new to all this - how do you verify contents of arp table and how do you change the decnet node address?
thanks
robert
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Robert,

you should just be able to change SCSSYSTEMID in sys$system:modparams.dat, and rerun sys$update:autogen.com to set a new value, as you said that you are not using DECnet at all. Is it even installed?

$type sys$system:modparams.dat
!
SCSNODE="DEVT02"
SCSSYSTEMID=1175

Read the notes that Andy and Hoff referenced earlier - they are quite important!

Duncan