New Discussion юеВ

Re: 6GB Memory become full

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mahmoud_1
Frequent Advisor

6GB Memory become full

Dear all,
I have alpha server 8200 with OpenVMS version 7.3-1 running Oracle RDB/Cobol and Oracle RDBMS 8i. We upgraded the OS to 7.3-2 and the Oracle RDBMS to 9.2.0.5 and we increased the memory from 2GB to 6GB after that we notesed that the memory become 99% used and the system become loaded and many of the proceses become swapped out.
Note : no thing made to the applications for both RDB & RDBMS, no thing changed for the accounts or sysgen params.
are there any thing to check or do.
This is a critical system.
Regards
12 REPLIES 12
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Mahmoud,
First things to look at is SHOW SYSTEM (look for memory hogs in the "Pages" column), SHOW MEMORY (of course) and execute
@SYS$UPDATE:AUTOGEN SAVPARAMS TESTFILES CHECK_FEEDBACK to see what alterations you might have to do to the system paramaters.
Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Mahmoud,

maybe you already did, but just to make sure:
Oracle has guidelines for things to change when you go from V8x to V9x.
Several of those will deal with SYSGEN params. Be sure to apply them!

Then run for at least 24 hours, with a representative load, and execute AUTOGEN as Kris wrote.

Success.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Marc Van den Broeck
Trusted Contributor

Mahmoud,

are you using reserved memory for your Oracle instance?
And if yes, how large is it?

Rgds
Marc
Mahmoud_1
Frequent Advisor

Dear Marc,
Yes we have reserved memory 2.5GB
Regards
Marc Van den Broeck
Trusted Contributor

Mahmoud,

So you are using more reserved memory then you did in previous version. And you thus have 3.5 Gb left for system.
Can you check how many Oracle 'user' processes there are? (process name should start with ora). You will find the background processes and some server processes.
Now, using almost all memory is not really bad, but if many processes are outswapped then it might not be ok.

Autogen might help you, but i guess you have to find out what is using lots of memory that was not there in previous install.

Rgds
Marc
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

several PQL_M and PQL_D parameters esp PQL_DWSEXTENT, PQL_MWSEXTENT increased a lot in V7.3-2. This will allow a process to use a lot more memory than before. You may wish to check that specific quotas are being specified for detached processes. Check also BORROWLIM, GROWLIM

Mahmoud,

Under 7.3-2, as soon as there has been any decent amount of memory been used, the _FREE_ memory is held "occupied" by the XFC cache. So, very soon your memory will _LOOK_ fully used.

$ SHOW MEMO/CACH

begins with "Allocated"

You can add that amount to your Free memory, as the cache will free it the moment there is demand.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Before you had 'only' 2GB, so your SGA for Oracle/Oracle must have been well under 2GB, maybe 500MB?

Now you have more physical memory and you have set aside 2G reserved memory for Oracle. One assumes you also changed the Oracle SGA params in init.ora to exploit this new found memory.

Did you make sur the new, larger sga is actually using the reserved memory and not 'double dipping' by having it reserved but allocating from normal memory?

fwiw,
Hein.
Mahmoud_1
Frequent Advisor

Dear All,
Thanks for help,
I checked all what you asked me for, I will upload a text file with some information about the users,memory, oracle account, sysgen params, one of the users account.
best regards.
Mahmoud