108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ACL_SCRUB for Alpha

SOLVED
Go to solution
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

I had found the vax89b2 early on. I fixed the structure but only two of the files were successfully removed from the backup set. The dates were 1989 and the text file matched exactly what I had. Since the title included "VAX" was was not hopeful that there would be Alpha results.

I found a similar Macro statement for compiling the arch_defs.mar with the macro code. Now I am getting "DATINCODE" messages. .long gives a problem.

I searched the ITRC web site for VEST but did not find any hits.

Maybe it will all fall in place tomorrow. I have the MACRO-32 Porting and User's Guide.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Zeni,

My apologies.

VEST is an acronym. The "product" name is/was DECMigrate. Information can be found at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/omsva/omsva.html

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Zeni,

For completeness, the acronym VEST stands for VAX Environment Software Translator".

The latest name is "OpenVMS Migration Software for VAX to Alpha" (with the acronym "OMSVA").

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

While I agree that deleting user accounts and the associated Identifiers has more downsides than upsides, VMS does not normally reuse the same value for a general identifier.

That is, if you issue a commands like

$ mcr authorize show /id testid /ful
%UAF-E-SHOWERR, unable to complete SHOW command
-SYSTEM-F-NOSUCHID, unknown rights identifier
$ mcr authorize add /id testid
%UAF-I-RDBADDMSG, identifier TESTID value %X800100CB added to rights database
$ mcr authorize rem /id testid
%UAF-I-RDBREMMSG, identifier TESTID value %X800100CB removed from rights database
$ mcr authorize add /id testid
%UAF-I-RDBADDMSG, identifier TESTID value %X800100CC added to rights database
$

The "next" value to be assigned to an identifier is kept in the RIGHTSLIST record with key value $$MAINTENANCE_RECORD. AUTHORIZE will attempt to use the value in the last 8 bytes of the $$MAINTENANCE_RECORD, and if that is already in use, it will keep incrementing until if gets to an unused value, and will then update the record with the next highest value.

I am not aware of any way to reset the value other than rewriting the $$MAINTENANCE_RECORD, i.e. it won't happen by accident.

Stock VMS does not remember what UICs have been used, at if it does, I am not aware of where it does. We have a command procedure we use to create new accounts, and each group has a template account, and we store the HEX value of the next UIC in the /owner field, just so we don't reuse UICs.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blue Sky mode on:

I wish each disk had a reserved file like [000000]RIGHTSLIST.SYS that contained the set of identifiers that were used on the disk, and this could be optional like QUOTA.SYS is for people that didn't want it.

Then when a volume was mounted, a consistency check could be done against the current RIGHTSLIST on the system, and if there were conflicts, it could refuse to mount the disk unless something like /override=rightslist_processing was specified. An anal/disk/repair would rebuild the file from the UICs and Identifiers found on the disk and the current RIGHTSLIST.DAT file.

The reason for such a check is to avoid accidentally granting ownership or access to files on the volume.
it depends
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

I had looked but did not see...
Bob, Thanks for putting me directly on the page with the info and the link for the download. I had found information about Vest/Decmigrate/OMSVA but not specific about licensing or the download link.

Re: about deleting. Sort of too-late for not doing it. I keep info on removed Identifiers and accounts.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I tried to compile it :

.PSECT DATA,RD,WRT,NOEXE in the beginning of .mar file
.PSECT CODE,RD,NOWRT,EXE before entry in .mar file

/stand=vaxc
all char * of cld.h replaced by static char *
and put delete_ace in comment to be safe

replace for by fortran

removed /option from link and added /nonative.

It runs. Displays confusing output like

file Owner_uic = [0,6] = []
for some time, displays some ace's
and aborts on first "if" in display.c.

Did something change between vax and alpha on the subject of indexf.sys ?

Wim
Wim
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

I will try the OMSVA (migration tool) on a test machine and see what kind of results happen. It may completely rule out the use for ACL_SCRUB software for Alpha hardware.

Thanks to all for the useful discussion.

P.s. Wim, I meant to add 8 points for your follow-up message about the .PSECT but after submitting the points , I saw the result was 1 . Not intentional. Don't know how to fix.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

eni,

>>>
I meant to add 8 points for your follow-up message about the .PSECT but after submitting the points , I saw the result was 1 . Not intentional. Don't know how to fix.
<<<

Sorry _NO_ way to change submitted points (AFAIK, not even be asking the moderators).
In practice, that means you can NEVER revoke points once given.
In a case like this however, just ask the intended receiver to reply once more, just to give the extra points to the extra answer.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Sorry to not have solved the problem. I was a programmer once but not a VMS one (cobol VMS/HP3000/Unix). I think the problem is a pointer issue that was forgiven / autocorrected by the VAX compiler.

BTW : could you post the normal output of the program ? I might find it next week.

Wim
Wim
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

The OMSVA software will work. I have not completely tested it but the resulting image does run and does create the expected output file.

The output can be lengthy if there are a lot of ACEs. Each file and its associated ACEs are noted like:
_DSA0:[SYS2]DNS$SERVER.DIR;1
Identifier ace: (IDENTIFIER=NETWORK,OPTIONS=DEFAULT,ACCESS=NONE)
Identifier ace: (IDENTIFIER=NETWORK,ACCESS=NONE)

Typically, I search the output file for "owner_uic" to find files that are not owned by valid UICs

An example (forgive the Wrap) is >
DSA0:[VMS$COMMON.SYSLIB]LNGSPLSHR.EXE;6 Owner_UIC = [15,1] = []

ACEs for sub-systems are noted but not modified. Audit ACEs are noted as "unknown". ACEs that are for unowned UICs or invalid Identifiers are removed.