4821 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ACP file create error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Enrico Granata

ACP file create error

I am using OpenVMS Alpha 8.3. The problem occurs when I create a new user account (using the ADDUSER sample script) and I have disk quotas enabled.
I try to login for the first time with the new account and the system's reply is "ACP file create error. Retry or press CTRL+Y to abort login" and I can never get past LOGIN.
If I disable quotas, login with the new account and then re-enable them, everything works well.
4 REPLIES 4
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor
Solution

Enrico,

to begin with:
WELCOME to the VMS forum!

>>>
If I disable quotas, login with the new account and then re-enable them, everything works well.
<<<

This suggests that WITHIN the login sequence, a (temporary?) file is to be created, somewhere (or with some credentials) that the quota for the new account do not allow.

After being logged in, do a SET VERIFY,and @SYS$SYLOGIN/out=syslogin.out.

If that goes well, same for @LOGIN

I strongly suspect one will show the error; scan though the .OUT file for the source of your problem.

Oh, maybe first you should check that you CAN create files in SYS$LOGIN; if not, THAT is your problem.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe

Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Enrico,

Welcome to the HP ITRC Forum on OpenVMS!

When the ADDUSER script is run, an account is created. As Jan has noted, there are still ways that one can experience difficulties. The most common ways are site-specific login procedures that make presumptions about the user's environment that are ADDUSER is not aware of.

Since ADDUSER is an [emphasis] example [emphasis off], at least so far as I can recall off-hand, include a callout for site/group specific customization (although that would be a useful idea).

Some simple things to check:

- Is the directory properly created and writeable by the user?
- Are quotas enabled on the volume? If so, does this user have a quota on the volume (SHOW QUOTA/USER=/DISK=?

I have seen cases similar to this. The causes are many. One of the common ones is a site-specific requirement that a user also have a directory on a second disk, typically a data volume or a scratch volume. ADDUSER has no knowledge of such an applicatons requirement, and of course each newly created account then fails to login correctly. This often happens when a site has a local account creation procedure, and a new system manager fails to use it, using ADDUSER instead.

Also, one can enable tracing by placing a SET VERIFY command in SYS$MANAGER:SYLOGIN.COM, although I do recommend conditionalizing such a "feature" on the specific UIC in question, otherwise other users are likely to complain.

It will then be possible to see precisely WHAT command caused the error.

More information is always useful.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Enrico Granata

I probably had made some mistake in creating the account, as I made another attempt and everything worked well even with quotas enabled (I used SHOW QUOTA to confirm quotas were enabled, and the new account's quota limits were effectively registered in QUOTA.SYS)

Thanks for helping :)
Enrico Granata

that was most probably a mistake I had made