1752734 Members
5670 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ADU for MSA1000 on OVMS

Michael Gambardella
Occasional Advisor

ADU for MSA1000 on OVMS

I have a customer that had a problem with an MSA1000 volume. We could not isolate it down to which drive was causing the issue so we ending up replacing all 6 drives that made up the volume. Afterwards we took the 6 drives put them in a Proliant and ran an ADU report. It was obvious from the ADU report which drive was bad. The customer is asking if there is a utility equivalent to ADU that can run on OVMS. They are running OVMS 7.3-2.
/Mike
4 REPLIES 4
cnb
Honored Contributor

Re: ADU for MSA1000 on OVMS

Hi Mike,

Is this what you're looking for?

MSA$UTIL, a command line utility, is a system management and diagnostic tool that is capable of configuring integrated RAID functionality for Modular Smart Arrays (MSA) 1000 and 1500, and for HP Smart Arrays 6402, 6404, 5302, 5304, P400 and P800.

See here for specifics:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/acuxe/

Rgds,

Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

Don't know ADU but can say that using the DECevent ($ DIAGNOSE) utility to report on disk events and examining the "device locator" and/or "associated" port and target info logged by the disk driver has nearly always satisfied me (supporting nearly 100 MSA100 pairs) by calling out the failing drive in a RAIDset.
Michael Gambardella
Occasional Advisor

MSA$UTIL is used to configure the array. I am looking for something that pulls the drive error data from the MSA1000.
I should also mention that I ran the system error log through SEA and that did not isolate the drive. The problem volume was a RAID0 and that may be why the MSA1000 did not report the events as expected but from the ADU report it was clear which drive was bad.
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

> I ran the system error log through SEA

In my opinion, SEA is not particularly good with dealing with disks - if you have DECevent installed, try running the error log through it and see what you turn up. If you don't have it installed you might want to fetch the kit and load it from whereever HP serves it up from now.

Fwiw, on Itanium servers I find it preferable to transfer I64 error log files to Alpha servers for decoding disk errors using DECevent rather than use WSEA (as DECevent is not available on I64). I realize that you're using Alpha as you note VMS 7.3-2...