108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ANOTHER HAT FOR MARTIN

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Congratulations Martin!! Keep on foruming.

Best wishes,
Lokesh Jain
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Sanjiv Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Congratulations Martin !!

Well Done. The sky is the limit.

Thanks, Sanjiv
Everything is possible
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your kind words. The good news for everybody is, that at the current rate it is about two years until the next of these threads is due.

To quote Friedrich II (King of Prussia): A king is the first servant of his people and that is how I do understand this particular hat.

Some specific remarks:

Ian, yes we do not have many VMS related problems (since our outpost here in Chicago runs pretty much production only), I do have lots or project/management work though. Participating in technical discussions here is a way to keep me from going nuts because of the "business". Anyhow I do most research after hours from home.

Merjin, thanks a lot for the graph. One thing it does show nicely is that there are many people more active than me. As for Perl, let me put it that way. If I program, it is mostly Perl I use, I've put together the Perl distro for the last VMS freeware CD and I submitted a few patches to module maintainers, so I do kind of work with it ;-) If you are looking for somebody how really knows the in and outs I do highly recommend Craig Berry who is pretty much at the heart of the VMS Perl effort (and who is due for his first hat soon!)

All the best,

Martin

P.S. I definitly will work to continue to the Sands of Egypt. I did a couple of courses in Egyptology at the university back in the days, so I like to revisit the place :-))
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Wow, congratulations. I haven't seen much experts with such opposite poles like OpenVMS and Linux.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

VMS and Linux not conflicting. See book
Linux and OpenVMS Interoperability by John Wisniewski.

I didn't meant to imply any struggles, but OpenVMS and Unix/Linux usually require a different mind set (files, devices, processes, ...) to handle them correctly. It was rather meant as a compliment to Martin.
Steve Reece
Advisor

I was fairly disappointed in that book Ian, although I respect John for the time that it takes and I know it's always easier to pick holes than to do something in the first place.

For me though, there were too many screen-shots and too little actual integration.

That's just me though. IMMV.
"Try not! Do, or Do not. There is no try!"
F. Beest
Regular Advisor

Congratulations on the metal hat, though might be less comfortable as the pointy hat... Enjoy your days in royal court, party on and keep the forum going.
Parties are the way to go...
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

congratulations Martin for your wide knowledge !

Gerard
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Thank you Martin for your time and contributions to the HP community.

Regards,

Brad
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International