3180 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: About advanced server concurrent connection limit

Alparslan_1
Occasional Contributor

About advanced server concurrent connection limit

Hi,

I want to ask a question about Openvms advanced server concurrent connection limit.

for examples:
openvms 7.3.1
Advanced server 50 user lic.

than every pople can connect same time to pathwork share?

because when I was treid a w2k computer to access the pathwork share I saw like this error.

thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

check for multiple connections from the same user pc to the server - as there can be more than and that can lead to confusion (it does for me anyway). I don't know if the 50 user lic counts usernames or connections.

Hi,

AFAIK, it's the number of connections that count; and from experience, Advanced Server can get confused if a client suddenly disappears.

Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Do @sys$startup:pwrk$define_commands and then enter PWLIC to see the current license status.

Concurrent use licenses will be the default if you haven't started the license server in pwrk$config. If license server is started, then the per-seat licenses can get used up very quickly because of various multiple identities for the same user, PC replacements and upgrades. You can use ADMIN/LICENSE to clean things up.

Also, use ADMIN/CONFIG to insure that your Client Capacity is sufficient.

-Doug
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Please provide the specific, exact error message you are seing. Also, please describe the situation that leads to the error. Thank you.

A 50 user license means that 50 PCs can connect to the server at the same time. Please be aware that in a cluster, if a PC connect to multiple nodes of the cluster, then that one PC will consume multiple licenses (one for each node of the cluster). And, if it connects to the cluster alias, that would be another license.

Also check PWRK$CONFIG. You might be underconfigured for number of sessions there as well. If you are only configured for 20 sessions, then, you won't be able to connect 500 users.

Regards,

Brad
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi,
there is another feature about license.
If you have client based license model, every PC leases the its own license at boot time. You can use only 50 registered PC.
If you have server based model, you can have 50 concurrent PCs. The trouble is how license server counts for PCs. For my experience, server does not reckon exactly clients.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

If you use server based licenses and the number of possible clients exceeds the number of licenses, you may want to use the AUTODISCONNECT feature. Idle sessions are then disconnected after the specified timeout and the license is available for another client. If the client opens another file on a share, it is reconnected automatically (if a free license is available, of course).

$@sys$manager:pwrk$define_commands
$ regutl
REGUTL> sho par server autodisconnect
Section Name: server
Keyword Name: autodisconnect
Type: Integer
Current Data: 1

Note: if you want to use this feature, make sure that you have the latest ECO 4 installed. Former version had a bug, which leads to disconnection of client though they had open files.

regards Kalle