108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Acquiring OpenVMS media

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gregg Parmentier
Frequent Advisor

Acquiring OpenVMS media

I recently added software media support back onto our OpenVMS contract (a previous admin was overly frugal.) The only version of VMS that shows as available with the SUM is 8.3.

We're currently running 7.1 and we only have 7.1-2 and 7.2 media available. None of these can upgrade directly to 8.3. I'd like to look at the following upgrade path (to get HDS support):

7.1 => 7.2 => 7.3-1 => 8.2

Where/how do I get media for 7.3-1 and 8.2? I'm not seeing any links at the SUM for asking questions like this.
4 REPLIES 4
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

This would be a special kit order for the particular version, and would require discussions with the HP reseller or HP representative.

But before you go that route...

The upgrade paths are in the OpenVMS FAQ. (The current copy of that document is over at the HoffmanLabs web site.)

Per the list of upgrade paths in the OpenVMS FAQ, you can upgrade from V7.1-2 to V7.2, and from there directly to V7.3-2, and then directly to V8.3; to the current release.

I've just confirmed the V7.2 to V7.3-2 jump with the contents of the document: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/aa-rv8za-te/aa-rv8za-te.HTMl

So you don't need to find V7.3-1. You can use your V7.2 kit where required, and your (new) V7.3-2 kit, and your (new) V8.3 kit. As both V7.3-2 and V8.3 are supported releases (with PVS and CVS status, respectively), so getting these kits through the reseller or rep will be rather easier.

If you have a support contract in place, you may well be able to download these V7.3-2 and V8.3 kits via FTP, as HP has been offering downloads to services customers. Once you get contract support access re-established, I'd ask about and look at the FTP site.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs
Gregg Parmentier
Frequent Advisor

-
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Gregg,

from your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 8 of 14 responses to my questions.

On this question, you seem to have received a rather complete answer, and you just closed it, without any assigning.

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption "My Question(s)" you will find "questions or topics with unassigned points " Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.
If you have closed some of those streams, you must "Reopen" them to "Submit points". (After which you can "Close" again)

Do not forget to explicitly activate "Submit points", or your effort gets lost again!!

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. - nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before - please do not take offence - none is intended!

PPS. - Zero points for this.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Gregg Parmentier
Frequent Advisor

Thought I had assigned points.