7336 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding a node in VMS cluster

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Malkeet,

like Bob said, this can be accomplished even without cluster shutdown.
Each node WILL have to shut down if you need to add adapters, but that can as easily be done while the other node is running.

Ubtil nowm I did not see any suggestion to upgrade your OS. Please, DO go to a supported config!
If there are compelling reasons to stay at V7, then go V7.3-2 ( + recent UPDATE ECO ), but if there is no serious reason NOT to, then go to 8.3.
Various interesting new features, but above that, much better performance. And since you are adding anotherGS1200, THAT _must_ be interesting for you!

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Andreas Vollmer
Valued Contributor

Hello Malkeet,

I agree with the previous advice of the community but...
Please use a network switch and NOT a hub.
We made a bad experience with the hub (it was an old model and it it was not able to deal with 100 Mb FD and the auto negotiation ended with 10 Mb HD).
In order to spare you that painful handling please use a switch instead.
Due to the importance of the cluster it would make sense to save some small $ in exchange for big trouble.
Be also aware to have some important cluster parameter in sync on all three nodes - such as the LOCKWRT parameter (dealing with the lock tree) etc.
Kind Regards
Andreas
OpenVMS Forever!
Andreas Vollmer
Valued Contributor

Hi again,

The mentioned parameter is called LOCKDIRWT and not LOCKWRT -- Sorry.
- CLUSTER_CREDITS should also be checked.

The reason why I mentioned the parameters is we experienced performance problems in one cluster. It turned out that some important cluster parameter where not equal or in sync and that caused the problems.
BR
Andreas
OpenVMS Forever!