108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding hot files to T4

SOLVED
Go to solution
James T Horn
Frequent Advisor

Adding hot files to T4

Does anyone have information or examples on how I might be able to add collection of "hot files" to the t4 family?
4 REPLIES 4
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

T4 has a data collector module for RMS, based on MONI RMS provided information. The problem with that is that you need to already know which files MIGHT be hot and mark those all with SET FILE/STAT [/SHARE]

Mind you, any hot-file data collector for T4 will kinda have that problem because T4 starts out with the column headers. So whether you manage to coerce the XFA to give you raw numbers, or use RMS stats of perhaps you RMS Global buffer header stats, You must always start with a suspicion, perhaps based on yesterdays hot-file list from the XFC, or from the fact that a file is marked with RMS stats or global buffers.

I have a tool to grab RMS Global buffer header counters, which i find enlighting.
I'll see if I can convert that to deliver T4 compatible info (if I did not do so already :-). My RMS_STATS alternative to MONI RMS already has an T4 style output option.

Anyone else any thought as to how to deal with dynamically appearing hot files? Reserver lots of column headers and fill them in post fact?

Hope this helps some,
Hein.

I'll see if I can augment
James T Horn
Frequent Advisor

> I have a tool to grab RMS Global buffer header counters, which i find enlighting.

Could I take a look at that. Right now it does not have to incorporate into the t4 family, I'm just trying to figure out what files are "Hot Files".
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

Global buffers have the same problem as RMS stats... it only applies to files which explicitly have global buffers enabled, which pretty much suggests that you know the file to potentially be critical.

My programs in this space are not as robust as I'd like them to be for general publication.

I'll attach the GBH tool. You feed it a file-name for a file to be monitorred, or @file-name for file-of-files. Typically I generated the file-of-files with parsed INSTALL/GLOBAL information, or a script going over a directories looking for F$FILE(x,"GBC")

Shouldn't be to hard (not too expensive :-) to turn this into a T4 tool.

Example output, with the -z option to reset the counters and initialize the start time:

$ mcr sys$login:gbh -z sys$system:*.dat
33 Files matched specifications.
2 Files with global buffers found.

Hit% Rate Attempts Misses Users MB GBC Elapsed 28-AUG-2009 12:29:48.96
---- ---- -------- ------ ----- ----- ---- ------- -----------------------
99 0 16393338 123999 17 0.1 30 ?s RIGHTSLIST.DAT;7
96 0 5577087 188324 20 0.2 30 ?s SYSUAF.DAT;7
$ mcr sys$login:gbh sys$system:*.dat
33 Files matched specifications.
2 Files with global buffers found.

Hit% Rate Attempts Misses Users MB GBC Elapsed 28-AUG-2009 12:29:59.22
---- ---- -------- ------ ----- ----- ---- ------- -----------------------
99 93 932 9 17 0.1 30 10s RIGHTSLIST.DAT;7
98 20 204 4 20 0.2 30 10s SYSUAF.DAT;7

Contact me via Email for more, specific, help.

Regards,
Hein van den Heuvel ( at gmail dot com )
HvdH performance Consulting

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Argh. The reply with attachment as ".C" failed at first. On retry I forgot the attachment. Now trying renamed to ".TXT", as silly as that would be. Hein.