5695 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Addition of CPU to ALPHA2100

Sanjoy Paul
Advisor

Addition of CPU to ALPHA2100

Hi ,

We have an ALPHA2100 m/c with 2 CPUs , we have SMP license installed in it. We want to add 2 more CPUs into it. Do we need to purchase additional SMP license(s) for the 2 more CPUs ?

Thanks in adv.

Sanjoy
10 REPLIES 10
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Yes, you need one SMP lic per extra CPU

The OpenVMS Alpha base license covers the first processor in the box, and one SMP license covers one additional processor.

SMP_PAKs = TOTAL_CPUs - 1

Licensing-related information:
http://64.223.189.234/node/31
http://64.223.189.234/node/118

I'd also be looking for a replacement box for the AlphaServer 2100, as retrofitting these and similar upgrades into a box this old seldom really pays off. Even for free hardware.

A used AlphaServer DS20e or similar will run rings around this dual- or quad-CPU AlphaServer 2100 box, and a used Integrity can be quite inexpensive.

Sanjoy Paul
Advisor

Thanks for your answer Miller .
Could you please confirm me whether it comes bundled with the CPU or I have to purchase it separately.

Rgds..........Sanjoy
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Sanjoy,

>>> whether it comes bundled with the CPU ?

It depends on the part number. You can buy an unlicensed CPU module or order a VMS License/SMP License together under one part number. At least you can with current systems, a vintage Alphaserver like the 2100 may no longer be available together.

As Hoff points out, purchasing hardware and licensing for an older production system may not the best use of your funding. Putting that money toward an upgrade could be a long term resolution.

Finally, be sure that you've identified a CPU shortfall before adding CPUs to a system. If you have an I/O bottleneck, network issue, quota problem . . . . you may not be solving a performance problem. There are situations where additional CPUs may make a performace problem worse depending on the cause and your configuration.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Hoff
Honored Contributor

You're buying this upgrade? (I would not generally pursue that course. I'd replace the system.)

Your upgraded four-CPU system might get anywhere between less than 1 CPU and maybe 3.4 or so CPUs, depending on how efficient your applications operate in parallel.

As for whether the purchase includes the SMP license, that depends greatly on exactly what you are purchasing. Given your question here, I'd assume either "no", or "it will require a license transfer".

I've seen (used) HP Itanium systems quite capable of booting OpenVMS for less than USD$1000, and sometimes far less. OpenVMS I64 FOE licenses are about USD$900 per core. A platform swap gets you new disks, new memory, etc.

Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Ussualy you need SMP license for each CPU that you add.
But once I have seen AS2100 with more UNITS for OPENVMS-ALPHA than needed. So I did not need additional SMP license for second CPU. (Strange).
Please post output of:
$ SHOW LICENSE
and we will be able to see what you need.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Sanjoy,

Be sure to check that you have slots and power to support the CPUs and memory. I seem to remember that you couldn't load it with full memory and 4 CPU's at the same time. We stopped at 2 CPU's on our 2100A processors and 2 512/MB memory cards (when they were our main servers 10 years ago).

You get diminishing returns with each processor added.

Another disadvantage of the 2100 processors is that they require more license units.

This is a AlphaServer 2100A 5/300, hardware model type 1223
Type: A, Units Required: 400 (VAX/VMS Capacity or OpenVMS Unlimited or Base)
Type: B, * Not Permitted * (VAX/VMS F&A Server)
Type: C, * Not Permitted * (VAX/VMS Concurrent User)
Type: D, * Not Permitted * (VAX/VMS Workstation)
Type: E, * Not Permitted * (VAX/VMS System Integrated Products)
Type: F, * Not Permitted * (VAX Layered Products)
Type: G, * Not Permitted * (Reserved)
Type: H, Units Required: 1100 (Alpha Layered Products)
Type: I, Units Required: 1100 (Layered Products)

vs an ES47 which has considerably more processing power.

This is a hp AlphaServer ES47 7/1150, hardware model type 2030
Type: A, Units Required: 125 (VAX/VMS Capacity or OpenVMS Unlimited or Base)
Type: B, * Not Permitted * (VAX/VMS F&A Server)
Type: C, * Not Permitted * (VAX/VMS Concurrent User)
Type: D, * Not Permitted * (VAX/VMS Workstation)
Type: E, * Not Permitted * (VAX/VMS System Integrated Products)
Type: F, * Not Permitted * (VAX Layered Products)
Type: G, * Not Permitted * (Reserved)
Type: H, Units Required: 1050 (Alpha Layered Products)
Type: I, Units Required: 1050 (Layered Products)
it depends
Sanjoy Paul
Advisor

Hi Vladimir ,

Please find the output of $sho li

------- Product ID -------- ---- Rating ----- -- Version --
Product Producer Units Avail Activ Version Release Termination
NET-APP-SUP-200 DEC 1100 H 0 0.0 (none) (none)
OPENVMS-ALPHA DEC 500 0 A 0.0 (none) (none)
OPENVMS-ALPHA-ADL DEC 12800 0 100 0.0 (none) (none)
RDB DEC 0 0 100 0.0 (none) (none)
SNA-APPC-LU6.2 DEC 1100 H 0 0.0 (none) (none)
SW-RAID5 DEC 1100 H 0 0.0 (none) (none)
X25 DEC 1300 H 0 0.0 (none) (none)

Regards,
Sanjoy
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

can you post the result of
$ SHOW LIC/CHARGE

for your system.

The answer to your original question is yes, two more SMP licences, but replacing the 2100 with a slightly less prehistoric alphaserver would be a better use of your money. It depends on what version of VMS you are running (I expect its a vintage version) and if you have to upgrade to be able to use a DS20 or similar. Longer term moving to current OpenVMS I64 will save you money.