1753406 Members
7546 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Advance Server V7.3A and Active Directory

Helen Mauger_2
Occasional Contributor

Advance Server V7.3A and Active Directory

Can anyone confirm if AS will support a Windows 2003 DC running Active Directory in 2000 mode
7 REPLIES 7
Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

Re: Advance Server V7.3A and Active Directory

Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Advancedserver can operate as Memberserver in an AD domain.
Helen Mauger_2
Occasional Contributor

Those links don't really tell me much. Windows Server 2003 running as a Domain Controller can run in several modes, namely:-

Win2K Mixed - Domain can have NT4.0 and later DCs
Win2K Native - Only Win2K and later DCs
Interim - Only 2003 and NT4.0 DCs
Windows 2003 - Only 2003 DCs

Windows Server also has several forest modes, namely:-

Windows 2000 - NT4.0 and later DCs
2003 Interim - Only NT4.0 and 2003 DCs
2003 - Only 2003 DCs

My question is will SA support Windows Server 2003 in Win2K Native mode and running Active Directory in Windows 2000 mode?
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Helen,

FWIK, AS is able to particpate in a W2K domain as a member - but only if the PDC is a W2K domain controller - propably that could be a W2K3 server in W2K mode.
This means you cannot use AS _without_ a Windows DC (alas)

HTH

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Helen,

As others have said - Advanced Server can be a "Member Server" in any of the Windows 2000/2003 configurations you listed in your reply. Doesn't matter what mode the server is in, or, what configuration your forest is in. Advanced Server can participate in those configuratons.

Advanced Server can not be any type of Windows 2000 Domain Controller (DC) - that role is reserved to only Windows machines. So, if you are asking if Advanced Server can be a peer to a Windows DC, then the answer is "no".

Before you integrate Advanced Server into your Windows 2000/2003 domains, ensure the following security policy is enabled on all Windows DC's: "Network access: Allow anonymous SID/Name translation".

Willem wrote:

>FWIK, AS is able to particpate in a W2K
>domain as a member - but only if the PDC
>is a W2K domain controller - propably that

I'm not sure what point Willem is trying to make. By default you will have a PDC emulator in your W2K/W2K3 domain. The first DC to boot in a given domain is automatically the "PDC emulator". I believe you can take action to eliminate the "PDC emulator"-s from your domain, however, you'd have to take explicit action to do so, on each and every DC in your domain.

You do need a PDC emulator for Advanced Server to function in a Win2K/Win23K domain. If you don't have a PDC emulator, Advanced Server will not function. Is that Willem's point?

>could be a W2K3 server in W2K mode.

I'm not sure what this "W2K mode" means. I wasn't aware of any special setting for W2K3 servers.

>This means you cannot use AS _without_ a
>Windows DC (alas)

That statement is not correct. You can use Advanced Server all by itself, or with other NT-4 compatible servers in an NT-4 domain, either as a PDC, BDC, or member server. In any of those cases, there is no Windows DC needed (DC implies W2K/W2K3).

Hope this helps

Brad

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Brad,

Indeed. That's all what I meant.

I must admit this is a bit of guesswork on my side but given all comments in this forum on the matter, having read the documentation and with my (little) experience in this matter and I believe I'm right:

- In an environent where you can use NT4-style of DC, AS can do it all by itself (That's the way I (intend to) use it).
- In an environment where you use W2K-style of DC, you _need_ to have a W2K(+) server as DC, and it will need be be started before AS becomes active.

IMHO alas. Now I'm forced to purchase a W2K server....

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

>IMHO alas. Now I'm forced to purchase
>a W2K server....

Why? Run Advanced Server standalone - make it a PDC in its own domain. Who needs W2K?
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International