1748249 Members
3591 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Advanced Server 7.2A

Gerry Downey
Frequent Advisor

Advanced Server 7.2A

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'll try anyway. Does anyone know if Advanced Server V7.2A will work in a W2K domain? We dont want to upgrade to V7.3A as that means buying 50 V7.3A licenses.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Gerry,

AFAIK it kinda works (tried it as member of the domain, not as BDC or PDC).
But you really should consider installing V7.3A (latest ECO), since that contains a whole lot of bugfixes.

Greetz,

Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Gerry,
If my memory stands good, it defintely works in a W2K domain :)

rgds
Mobeen
Gerry Downey
Frequent Advisor

Kris, how did you get it to be a member? As far as I'm aware, the only choices are PDC or BDC.

Thanks,
Gerry
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Gerry,

AS 7.2A works fine with W2K as a Member Server. During installation you get the option to be a MemberServer, BDC or PDC.
If you want to change you're role during a live domain it is easy.
Stop AS, rename PWRK$LMROOT:[LANMAN]DATAFILES.DIR to DATAFILES_OLD.DIR . The same for DOMAINS.DIR .
Start PWRK$CONFIG, add this node (cluster) in the domain as a MemberServer, do not start AS !!!
Replace PWRK$LMROOT;[LANMAN.DATAFILES]SHAREDB. with the one out of [.DATAFILES_OLD]
This is for de shares which you had on the AS nodes !
Start AS and It should work fine. Other tricks are also available !

Secondly, do you got support for AS ? If so, you get automaticly the new licences, otherwise it is possible to upgrade you're licenses !

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Gerry Downey
Frequent Advisor

Anton,
I ran PWRK$CONFIG and selected option 6 to change the role of the server, and it only gave me the choice of PDC or BDC. Are you sure this version can operate as a member server?

Thanks,

Gerry

Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Gerry,

AS7.2A doesn't support member server role. I have 7.2A as BD running with 2 Win2k3 servers which are in interim mode. They were Win2k not too long ago running in mixed mode.

AS7.2A has a few problems in this environment but it isn't as heavily loaded as yours. Occasionally, some of the processes (like PWRK$LMSRV) just die. I think it is a problem with the sam replication. I intend to update to 7.3A as soon as possible (fortunately, PWLMXXXCA07.03 licenses came with this system.)

So, yes it runs, but not very well and I don't know how it would handle a 50 user load. I do an almost nightly PWRESTART to compensate for some of the problems.

HTM,

-Doug
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Gerry,

Kris, how did you get it to be a member?

Can't remember it exactly, but I think I must have configured it thus just after installation (it's been a while...)

Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Paul Nunez
Respected Contributor

Doug is absolutely right - no member server support in Advanced Server v7.2A (it was first included in v7.3).

Also, you won't get any engineering support for v7.2A and only best-effort support from the support centers.

A 50-user _upgrade_ license (part no. QM-5SUAA-AF) isn't all that much money (don't have the standard price in front of me but IIRC it's around $2500; but you may qualify for a discount).

Advanced Server v7.3A ECO4 was recently released and is recommended for all customers, especially those in Windows 2003 environments and/or with WinXP clients.

It's available from the ITRC FTP server:

ftp://ftp.itrc.hp.com/openvms_patches/layered_products/alpha/

Filename is ADVANCSERV-V0703-A4.PCSI... dated 14 DEC 2004.

Best of luck all,

Paul
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Kris and Anton must be confusing V7.2A and V7.3A, or, just not remembering correctly when member server support was added. As Paul said, member server support was added to V7.3, and, that is one of the things you pay for when you buy the V7.3 licenses.

While you might get it to work, your biggest risk is that MS changes something, and suddenly it no longer works, and, sorry to say, engineering won't be able to help you.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Brad McCusker

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International