108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Advanced Server - Large File Transfer Fails

SOLVED
Go to solution
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

If a file transfer in Advanced server takes looong, you should try a basic ftp. If it is several orders of magnitude faster, stick to Ftp. Some tuning on caches in Advanced server may help too. Others will comment wisely and better than me on this :-) (Hello Brad !)
Ted Ripp
Occasional Contributor

My problem is resolved but I am posting some final notes.

1) We are not using FTP because it is unfamiliar to our users. We are using Advanced Server because of security considerations. We have a less secure network and a more secure network connected by a firewall. We have the need to allow access to data on the more secure side from PCs on the less secure side and have been using a Windows 2000 based file server. We set up the firewall to allow incoming connections to that server. For various reasons it was not desirable to place the server on the less secure side and push data to it. Because of the almost continuous very serious security problems with Windows we decided to use the VMS Advanced Server to serve files to the less secure side. Our thinking is that it will not present as much of a security weakness as did Windows.

2) I noticed that with Advanced Server 7.3A ECO-3 (and perhaps other versions but I did not try them) if the Advanced Server is started before a disk is mounted you can not add a directory service on that disk. If the disk is mounted before Advanced Server is started services can be created.

3) These forums are a valuable resource.

TR
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

2) that can be fixed after the mount:

$ admin
D\\N> set computer /autoshare_synchronize
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

Ted,

To resolve problem #2 issue the following command in your system startup procedure after your disks have been mounted that you have created shares on:

$ADMINISTER SET COMPUTER /AUTOSHARE_SYNCHRONIZE /NOCONFIRM

We do this because we start Advanced Server to enble external authentication immediately after starting TCPIP Services. We mount all user data disks after starting all of the network transports.

This command is documented in the AS Commands Reference Manual.
Bill Hall
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

can you post a note on what solved the problem for you (for future reference).
(People who use VMS as a secure file server for VMS should be encouraged :-).